Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Arbitrary

• Last week I volunteered at a conference critiquing resume of students looking for their first job. As I prepared for my first session all I could think was, "Wow! I'm the expert now." As I sat and made suggestions on how they could reformat their resume I even began to believe I knew what I was talking about. I have these moments from time-to-time. Not that I didn't think I know what I was talking about. It's just that you reach a point in your career where things come to you within a blink of an eye. You have the capacity to guide others in a sound direction. You gain a respect that you once didn't have ... and sometime it just amazes you that that is where you are at.

• This week I started a new adventure into a new area of the business world - a new field. I'm not sure how long I'll stay in this world, but however long it is I am happy to be here. See, I've been wanting to break into this area of some time. I was surprised when the opportunity was presented to me. What I'm doing is not glamorous by any means, but we all have to start somewhere, right?!

• To piggyback off the last bullet point . . . For the past year I've been working as a Social Media Consultant on a Pro Bono basis. As of current I have four clients. Three of which are Pro Bono and one who now actually pays me to do Social Media work. When I started out it was my goal to get paid to do this; now I am getting paid. It's exciting and I'm hopeful that this will lead to even more paid work experiences in this area of business.

• If you really step back and look at everything I have on my plate, I'm really busy. Tonight someone asked me how I get it all done. Truthfully, this full-plate is the result of two factors: 1) I'm always afraid of having so much downtime that I'm bored out of my mind; 2) I have a difficult time passing up the opportunity to take on new project that interests me.

Honestly, until recently I never I really didn't believe I was that busy. Again, until recently. Things became very apparent to me recently when I took-on something that consumes a lot of preparation time. I hope when that is over in December I'm not bored again because I've had to pass up a lot of other opportunities in order to prepare.

• I got a hair cut tonight. It was long overdue. I always can believe how great I feel once I've gotten my hair cleaned-up. It's such a small, simple thing that makes such a huge difference in how I feel.

• I still can't believe this year is almost over. It feels as though it's just begun.

• BFF and I were commenting to each other this week that the blogging project we're part of has been going strong since late March - we're almost at 8 months. It's a fantastic group that I'm so happy I'm part of. We've covered some really interesting topics, some topics that were personally challenging for me, but I got through them. I'm so pleased we continue to keep going like we have.

• The cold weather has set-in. Winter is knocking at the door. If things hold true to tradition, we'll have snow by my birthday which isn't far away. Part of me isn't ready for the colder winter months; the other part says bring it on!

• I have to remember that sometimes you'll find what you're looking for if you just look at what's right in front of you.

• Here's a little mind-bender: Can you answer this equation without searching for the answer online -> 1 + 1 + 1 + 1 + 1 + 1 + 1 + 1 + 1 + 1 - 1 + 1 + 1 + 1 + 1 + 1 + 1 x 0= ?

1 comment:

  1. very cool about the social media stuff. and nice that one is paying!
    you know how i am about being busy all the time. i hope you get some "froggie time" though! :)
    the last one has to take "please excuse my dear aunt sally" into consideration. only the last number is really multiplied by 0 because multiplication comes first in such an equation.
    gosh, i'm such a nerd! :)

    ReplyDelete