Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Froggie - v. 35.12

It all started because of Facebook.

I had received a notification from them on November 29, 2008 that it was my birthday and they hoped it was a great one (or something to that effect). I found this to be interesting considering up until that point I had always celebrated my birthday on November 30th. "Were my parents lying to me this whole time about when my birthday was?" I wondered.

As a result, that evening I posted this entry on my blog. It was a short post where I rambled on about how I could have missed my birthday. In 2009, the pre-birthday post evolved a bit more. I had a bit more depth to the entry, but still keeping it fluffy. When I look back at this post what stands out most to me is a statement I made about material gifts vs. intangibles gifts. I wondered if I was heading in a direction where the intangibles would be more of a gift to me than a tangible gift.

Last year, any and all birthday talk on my blog fell off the radar all together. Aside from the "awesomeness" that was October that year, I was about two weeks post-breakup and had just had a craptastic job interview. (Ok, so the job interview wasn't the main things that got me, but it just felt like the icing on a cake that had been in the oven for a really long time.) The long and the short of all this was, I was not in the mood to talk birthday - so I didn't.

This year, however, I am resurrecting my traditional birthday blogging and putting a new spin on it....

About a month ago I was having dinner at a friend's house and talking about the fun I had playing with yarn at a local yarn dying studio. That's when she said, "You realized, don't you, you've done a lot this year and had some pretty cool and unique experiences?" She must be a mind reader because I had been thinking about all this on my way to her place. "Oh yeah, totally!" I replied.

On my way home that evening I started to quantity everything I had done over the past year and felt it was important to write it all down somewhere so I could have record of it all. It was this dinner conversation that made helped me decide the format this year's pre-birthday post would adapt. I wanted to see for myself what I accomplished, and the awesome experiences/happenings that have taken place over the past twelve months.

The list below is the result...

2010

December

During this month, I took my first steps at exploring whether or not Plan B was something I wanted to legitimately consider. After attending an open house, I was sure that this was something I wanted to dig deeper into.

2011

January

Before I go on with stuff that happened to me during this month, I have to mention that TCU won the Rose Bowl on New Year's Day 2011. I was uber thrilled!!!

The beginning of the year was kind of slow which in some ways was a good thing. Five weeks before it was suppose to take place, I decided to take the LSAT. Up to that point I hadn't prepped for it - AT ALL, but I jumped right in head-first anyhow. Getting ready for the test was a lot more work then I had anticipated.

I also began to spend time at a photography studio learning about the business. Unfortunately, there were other things going on in my life that needed more attention and as result the amount of time I could spend at the studio was limited.

I went ice skating for the first time since I was a kid. It was a blast!!!

The last weekend of January I slipped and fell on ice while walking to my car. I hurt my wrist and lower arm. What I remember most about this incident, aside from the pain, is that after it happened I only took a brief moment to go "oh crap" and then kept on going. I didn't let it stop me from doing what needed to get done.

Oh, and how can I forget going sledding? I got an AWESOME shot of Simba "taking the bump." It was a blast and a good time was had by all.

(Ok, so maybe January wasn't as slow as I thought.)

February

Snowmaggedan and my car getting complete buried in a snow drift are the first things that come to mind when I think of February 2011. I only mention this because I actually enjoyed walking my neighborhood that day. I had my camera with me and got some really great shots.

Once the LSAT was over it was time to focus on school applications. Fun was had by all!

Oh, yeah... there was the trip to the ER this month as well because I cut my toe and it wouldn't stop bleeding. Thankfully it wasn't serious and I ended up not having to see a doctor after all.

March

One of the first thing that happened in March was that I made a new friend. While visiting NIU, I was introduced to Bostonian's best law school friend. Alex and I got along immediately and I we became good friends as well.

However, that is not the main reason I remember the month of March. The main reason I will always remember this past March has to do with the second personal statement I wrote. I'm still very proud of what I wrote, and even if I don't get into law school I will always have that statement to call mine.

And who can forget the iPhone acquisition that was made this month. I find it H-I-L-A-R-I-O-U-S that this is a notable event. I don't know what I did before I had this phone.

Ok, one other really notable things that happen this month... The Thursday blogging group was resurrected. I was a little nervous at first because of what happened last year with it, but I'm happy to say we're going strong 8 months later.


April

Hmmm . . . I think life settled down a bit in April. I did a lot of .... w-a-i-t-i-n-g .... I mean A LOT..... of..... w-a-i-t-i-n-g... during the month of April.

I also decided to take another shot at the LSAT this month... all that w-a-i---t-i-n-g must have made me really bored and in search of a way to fill the time...

While I was doing all this w-a-i-t-i-n-g, I met my friend Ashley. (More on that in a bit.)


May

I did some wai-ting in May as well, but it didn't seem like it was as much as April.

I did get to see M this month which was extremely exciting since it had been over six months since she moved away.

During this visit I had a project inspiration which I have since asked BFF to work on with me. She was all for it. I really haven't talked about this project with many because it's still in the development stages.

June

Back to Ashley.... Commuting back and forth via the train is not the most thrilling thing in the world. I mean, it is what it is. So it's rare to randomly meet someone that you get along with so well. I was fortunate enough to make a friend on the train. It made all the difference with my commute - and I got a good friend out of it as well.

After the June LSAT I started training for my first 5k run. This is definitely on the "best things I did this year" list.

July

The most notable thing that happened in July is that I was given the opportunity to be a Project Manager for a new volunteer project I was asked to join. The cause fit my interests and passions perfectly so the fact that I was being given opportunity to really learn to manage people was a huge bonus for me.

Also, I recruited S to the project because I needed a rock star Marketing Manager and I knew she would fit the bill perfectly. Additionally, S and I have worked professionally in the past and we collaborate very well together.

This was also the month S signed on for project 5k race. The person I was going to originally do this with stepped-back due to health issues. It was nice to have someone to go through the training process with -especially since we were both newbies to running races.

I also started to consider roller derby, but didn't do anything with it until August.

August

One thing I haven't mentioned specifically, but alluded to a bit, is that I spent a lot of time in the city this year. (Thus the whole commuting on the train.) I had so much fun that I was taking the train down on the weekends as well.

Stepping out of my comfort zone a bit, I experienced an observant Shabbos. It was an interesting experience and helped me confirm a lot of things in terms of my what I'm comfortable with from a religious observance perspective.

In August I reconnected with someone who I . . . . . well. . . . . I'll just say someone I really care about. Someone I wish I could have a second chance with. It was really nice to see them again...

The biggest thing that happened this month was that someone close to me had a health scare. It really had a huge impact on me. It was the first time I really recognized that my friends and I aren't invincible superheros. I mean, don't get me wrong, I knew that are mere mortals and not invincible superheros, but a part of me just assumes we're all going to grow old together and that there is no other option. It was the first time someone in my inner circle had had a scare like this. It was the first time in over 20 years that the potential to lose a family member existed.

September

Life got interesting at the end of August and by September I was starting a short, but new adventure. The experience turned out a lot better than I thought it would and I made some great friends along the way.

During all this I continued to train for my 5k run.

Additionally, the organization whose run I was participating in asked me if they could do human interest story on me. I said yes - you can read it here.

Some other items of note...

• I added another pro bono Social Media client.
• I joined the Marketing Committee of an organization I have been doing Social Media for over the past year. This is unique in that it is one of the sub-committees for the organization's Board of Directors, however I do not belong to this organization's board. I was flattered that they wanted me on the this committee even though I don't belong to the board.

October

October... October... October ... what a month!

Do I even need to mention that I ran my first 5k in October? Ok, I will! So, the 5k finally arrived. It was rainy and cold. S and I questioned our sanity. We questions if we should just skip the run and just go straight to the yummy breakfast we planned to have afterwards, however we stayed strong and ran the race.

About mid-October, I got to play with yarn for two days at Lorna's Laces. It was a lot of fun (I mean, a lot of fun!) and everyone there is awesome.

November

When one door closes, another one opens. That was the beginning of November.

Someone I had been doing social media work for offered me a job. It's something we had talked about for some time, and I always knew would happen, but wasn't sure when... It was a lot sooner than I had anticipated.

I faced some conflict this month. It bothered me so much that it interrupted the flow of how things seemed to be going for me. It upset me, but in the end I got through it.

One thing I did this month that I didn't think I'd do so soon was run a 5 mile race. How I found out about it was random and I wasn't totally on board with participating, however I had faith in my ability to do it so I decided to participate. It was an awesome experience and I'm proud of myself for not letting the naysayer side of my brain get the better of me.


So here I am... 36 is right around the corner - literally. The official time of my birth is 6:08 PM so really I won't be 36 until then, but still . . . :) Everything I listed above is everything I can recollect doing this year. I'm sure there is plenty more that took place that I haven't mentioned.

I've said this a million times, in recent weeks, the past year has been amazing. I'm incredibly thankful for every I was given and if this upcoming year is even half as good as this past year has been I'm in for a lot of greatness.

With that said, I'm ready to put Froggie v. 35 in the archives and I'm ready to unwrap the next year of being me.

No comments:

Post a Comment