Friday, February 10, 2012

Let's add acquire a few millions dollars to the list as well...

Back in December, as part of my Thursday blogging group, I wrote about the things I'd like to accomplish this year.

One of the things I talked about was writing for a Chick Lit Blog. Back in 2010, I was asked to do a tribute post to one of my favorite authors. At the time I said that I would do it, but couldn't at that moment. Aside from the state of affairs being what they were at that point-in-time, I had doubt that I could write a post worthy of being published outside of the safe confines of my blog; however, as 2011 drew to a close I decided to stop listening to my nay-saying beliefs which included committing to writing the tribute post in 2012.

As fate would have it not too long after I made that commitment, I was asked to help with the site's social media activities. The founder of the blog was aware of my vast social media/marketing experience and how I had been using to help a variety of non-profit organizations around the Chicagoland area and thought I'd be a valuable addition to their team. I was flattered, and immediately accepted. So, I started to help out Chick Lit Central with their social media efforts as of early January.

But that's not why I want to add acquiring a few million dollars onto my "I would like to" list . . .

Two of my goals for 2012 were to get published outside of my blog, and to read more. As fate would have it, I'm well on my way to achieving these goals.

First the goal of being published outside of my own personal blog. In January, I wrote a article on a Meet the Author event featuring Rachel Bertsche, author of "MWF Seeking BFF". Then, a few weeks later, while in the process of writing a book review for the blog I ended up writing a tribute article to Tori Spelling. (I'm not sure how I got from writing a book review on another author's book to writing about Tori Spelling, but somehow it happened...the creative process is a mysterious one if you ask me!)

Recently, I found out that one of my favorite bloggers is releasing a memoir in April. Once I read this, I immediately e-mail CLC and asked if I could do a review of the book for the blog. The answer? YES!!! (WOOHOO!!!) I was elated to hear this. See, not only does that mean I get more chances to write for this blog, but it also means that I'm forced into achieve the second goal I want to highlight in the post -- read more!

I make no secret of the fact that I struggle with reading comprehension. I have my whole life. This is why I typically don't read. When I do decide to dive into a book I usually opt to listen to audiobooks vs. picking up a physical book. It's not that I don't want to read a physical book, it's just a struggle for me and takes away from the experience. However, I do want to overcome this negative reaction I have to actually reading.

I'm so thankful to CLC for not only allowing for me to showcase my writing on their blog, but also for giving me a catalyst to achieving this very important goal of improving my patience with, and enjoyment of, the reading process. And it may, quite possibly make me an even better writer as well. I know that I've earned the chance I've gotten with CLC, but that doesn't mean that I'm not thankful for the chance to prove myself worthy of space on their piece of cyberspace.

These are just two reasons I would like to add acquiring a few million dollars onto my "I would like to" list. There are other things going on in my world that I'm thrilled about that cause me to think almost anything is possible. That said, these two things are two HUGE one for me as they feed into a larger self-improvement goal I've had for years. I guess sometimes you just need to give yourself a swift kick in the butt -- and now was the time on this one. No matter what it is, stepping outside of this comfort-zone is scary, but I'm happy to be here nonetheless!

1 comment:

  1. Glad to hear that you're getting to do these goals. Sounds like you're a real asset to CLC and I'm sure they appreciate your help. Keep sharing links to what you post!

    ReplyDelete