Thursday, February 16, 2012

Happy Anna Howard Shaw Day! (Or in other words, a special Valentine's Day memory.)

This week for the Thursday Blog Project, Susanna asked us to write about: Our funniest Valentine's Day memory.

I don't have a funny Valentine's Day memory. Of the few V-Day memories I have, none of them jump out at me as humorous. Honestly, at this point they all seem to blur together into clusters -- Valentine's Day as a kid, Valentine's Day blunders (aka - never send a boy a stuff animal EVER again), Valentine's Day with someone who is no longer in my life and Valentine's Day spent alone.

That said, there is a Valentine's Day memory I'm willing to share, just for the mere fact that it was a nice way to for someone I was just getting to know to wish me a Happy Valentine's Day -- plus showed me a lot about the person before I really got to know them. (Ok, it also made me smile as well!)

In my opinion, starting a new relationship around the beginning of the year can provide some awkward moments -- especially if it's close to Valentine's Day. Valentine's Day just seems to put new relationships in an awkward place, however I apparently forgot this fact when I started e-mailing with someone new just a day or so before V-day one year. (Go me!) Anyhow, that particular February 14th I received an e-mail from the person I was getting to know. The e-mail started off with, "Happy Anna Howard Shaw Day / Valentine's Day to you (I do love 30 Rock)." This of course prompted me to do some research on who Anna Howard Shaw was, and what she had to do with Valentine's Day and 30 Rock... Here is a video I found that will explain it all:



Honestly, I don't know what I would have done if the ball had been in my court to send the an e-mail on Valentine's Day in this particular situation. I probably would have wished the person a Happy Valentine's Day, but felt a bit awkward about it. However, the individual in question handled it much better... in my opinion, they handled it perfectly! As I mentioned above, it showed me a lot about this person. It showed me their ability to be considerate, and creative which were two of many reasons that I dated this person for some time.

Since then, I use "Happy Anna Howard Shaw Day" as my way of wishing my friends a Happy Valentine's Day.

Now that I've talked about my Valentine's Day memory, please take a moment to read what my fellow bloggers have to say about their V-Day memories:

Merryland Girl (Melissa)

Mom of Many (Susanna)

Momarock (Sara)

1 comment:

  1. i think the anna howard shaw thing will be a new tradition for us (as in you and i) now. :)

    ReplyDelete