Thursday, February 23, 2012

Putting things off for later ... otherwise known as procrastination.

I've had a horrible bout with procrastination over the past month or so. Normally, when I have something to do I get it done, however that hasn't been the case lately. Lately it's been . . . Procrastinator = ME!

So when it got to be Monday evening, and I still hadn't picked a topic for this week's Thursday Blog Project (something I should have done last Thursday... Sunday at the latest), I decided on the topic of procrastination -- honestly, I had NO ideas for a topic so I just turned what I was practicing into the topic.

(Yes, the topic selection process for this project is quite intense and scientific -- at least my process is!)

So what's on my "to do" list that I'm putting off, you ask?

The first thing that comes to mind is . . . Lots and lots and lots of writing!

You'd think I wouldn't be putting this off since I love to write ... Unfortunately, that isn't the case. I blame it on the fact that I haven't learn to "write on demand." I have to be inspired. (It seriously took me WAY too long to write my first personal statement. Thankfully the second one went a lot quicker.) I've always putting off writing assignments. Even in high school I've put off my writing assignments until the last minute. My senior year, I my Spring term English teacher assigned a TIME magazine article each week that we were to read and write an opinion paper on. I wrote those papers on the day they were due, 15 minutes prior to the beginning of the day(right before my Algebra II class started -- good thing I had no issues with putting off my homework for that class otherwise I would have been REALLY SCREWED!!!) For the record, I think the lowest grade I got on these opinion papers was a B+. If I were really concerned about being 100% accurate on this I'd pull them out right now and check, but honestly I'm not THAT concerned . . . And yes, I have all of these writing assignments from my senior year in high school which was back in the dark ages when I didn't even know what the hell the internet or e-mail. They are together with all the writing assignments I did in elementary school and Jr. High. (You think I'm kidding, but I'm not!)

I wish more than anything that I could learn to just sit down and write. It would make my current project a lot easier to manage. For instance, I just got a writing assignment for a blog that caters to the Jewish community in the Chicagoland area. My first post is due to the managing editor Tuesday, and I have no freakin' clue what to write about. Truth be told, when I contacted this site about becoming a contributing blogger I really didn't think they'd say yes so I wasn't prepared with any ideas of what I might write about in the event they did in fact say yes -- which they did. (Go Me!) Then there are some press releases I'm helping with for one of the non-profits organization I do work volunteer work for. Oh yeah, then there is my personal writing stuff that I want to do that somehow always seems to take a backseat to everything else -- until.

There are other things going on in my life I'm procrastinating on, but it's more fun for me to share the writing stuff I'm procrastinating on than the other stuff.

Now I feel as though I should share with you what I do instead of doing what I am suppose too -- but I'm trying to keep this post to 800 words, as that is all the words I get for the above mentioned blog post that is due Tuesday, and as of this sentence I am at 654 words. (Thank you Microsoft Word for counting the words for me!) I'm afraid if I go off on the "this is how I procrastinate" tangent this post is going to turn into something more like 8000 words. Because that is what I do . . . when given the opportunity, I ramble to my hearts content. (Some find like this, some don't.) So, you can see how having only 800 words to play with can be tricky for me!

Instead, I will thank you for reading my rant about procrastination and encourage you to read what my fellow bloggers have to say about their thoughts on the topic:


Momarock (Sara)

Merryland Girl (Melissa)

Mom of Many (Susanna)

Side note: With this side note, this post is 799 words long! (Phew! Made it just under 800 words... GO ME!!!)

2 comments:

  1. i hope you figure out what to write for the other blog soon. i'm sure inspiration will strike when you least expect it. that happens to me sometimes. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have the same problem- I enjoy having a blog, because I make it a goal to write something, even if it's tiny, every day. It's so exciting that you have a writing assignment! I'm sure you will come up with a topic and do what needs to be done, in a timely manner. :)

    ReplyDelete