Saturday, February 11, 2012

Lent 2012: Let's Not Argue Anymore

Last year I gave up chocolate. When I did this, I joked it was what I was giving up for Lent since my decision to not eat chocolate anymore started on Ash Wednesday. (Coincident... totally coincidental! Remember, I'm Jewish so technically I don't recognize Lent.)

A few weeks ago, a friend and I were tweeting back and forth about Wrigley Field -- we both have rather strong views on what should, or in my case shouldn't be done, with this ball park. As the "conversation" began to get a bit heated I found myself getting aggravated, and I started feel down right icky.

As I began to feel the iciness starting to set-in more and more all I could think was, "Was it really worth all this debating that would lead nowhere"? I mean, he wasn't going to change my mind, I knew nothing I could say would change his mind on the topic. So why the hell were we debating in such an intense fashion? That's when I made the decision on what I was going to give up for Lent this year.

That's right, I'm giving up arguing folks! Or, at least arguing on matters, such as the ones I have with this particular friend regarding Wrigley Field -- amongst several topics. I'm giving up arguments that are basically not essential, and only cause more harm than good. I believe they call this "picking your battles."

Often, S has tells me, you may not be able to control what happens to you, but you can control your reaction to the situation. So, I'm controlling my reaction to such situations.

Though Lent doesn't start for another week and a half or so, I've already started controlling my reaction to the topics of conversation that lead to the heated debates. I started the day I made the decision which was around the 23rd of January. I plan on making this a permanent change in my life. Arguments are an energy-suck for all involved -- so why would we want to have silly ones?

So, I'm off! I'll be sure to check-in from time-to-time to report my progress!

1 comment:

  1. Great idea!!!!
    I am actually trying to restrain from eating the chocolate sitting right on my desk. It's so insanely hard. Even if it wasn't on my desk, I'd just go into this other area down the hall to get it. So please share your tricks!!!

    ReplyDelete