Friday, February 24, 2012

A Stroll Down Memory Lane

Various things this week have taken me down memory lane . . .

• Today I woke up to a message from M regarding a friend of hers, that I also know. The long and the short of the situation is that I use to spend time with this person until out of the blue they stopped calling me. Six months later we ran into one another at a post-Thanksgiving party M had. They were even more of a douche bag to me that evening.

That was 3 years ago, and since then I've moved on -- I mean really, how much time can you spend on douche bags?! Anyhow, they asked M if she'd ask me if I'd be ok with them contacting me again. A lot has changed in my life and to be quite honest, I'm not sure if I want to be their friend in real life (we've been facebook friends this whole time). I said they could in fact contact me only because BFF reminded me of a similar situation I've experienced where I was on this persons side of the table. It's a scary place to be, and at the very least I wanted to give them the chance I wanted so badly.

As one might imagine, there has been a lot of reminiscing going on this morning.

• This situation also reminded me of that party of M's... It was a matter of days before my birthday. For whatever reason M thought it would be a good idea to sing "Happy Birthday" to me. I'm not a big fan of people singing "Happy Birthday" to me so you can imagine how I felt about this. (And I'm thankful for the waitress whoon one of my bdays gave me a free dessert in honor of my bday without the serenade! She is a goddess!!!)

The last thing I'll say about this situation is don't serenade someone for their bday if they don't know anyone else at a party, and they don't like that type of thing to begin with -- it just doesn't end well.

• "You're the knitter, aren't you?!" That is what some lady sitting across from me on the train home said to me the other day I literally just sat down in my seat -- no knitting to be seen -- when she blurted that out.

Again, RANDOM. I haven't been on that particular train, in that particular coach in a LONG time. (At least close to a year?!?!?!) This got me thinking about all my travels back and forth into the city on the train. This then got me thinking about all the things I "could" be known for and made me feel good that ultimately, I'm known as "the knitter."

As it turns out, this individual is learning to knit and is super excited about it. Seeing that all knitters should stick together and help each other out, I gave the woman my business card I use for networking. It only has my phone number on it so she can't really stalk me.

• All the randomness of the train/knitter situation got me thinking of last summer and how random it was to have made a friend on the train. (Which, as my train buddy told me a few months back, is a really rare situation as though they have talked to others on the train before, they never made a true friend from those conversations.)

I was very lucky to have a train buddy, and it is a rare situation. We had so much fun on the commute home. It was like being in knit group -- without the knitting... or the large group. We would talked about a lot of different things and I'm sure we kept a lot of people in our coach... ummm... ummm...entertained!

It's for this reason I was more than happy to be know as "the knitter" because honestly there are a lot of other ways people on this particular train could remember me.

• It was also fun to think about my senior year opinion papers that I wrote for my English class. I really enjoyed writing those which is why I've kept them all these years. Even back then I wasn't shy about sharing my two cents on things.

• For some reason I started playing Farmville again this week. (I say this with some shame.) Back in 2010 I played this ALL the time. I even remember I once stayed at a friend's unexpectedly one weekend and was trying to figure out if all my crops would be wittered by the time I got back home. Yes, you can laugh at me for this -- I give you full permission if you feel so inclined. In 2011 I stopped playing. Mostly because you basically have to plan the game around your schedule and I wasn't up for that anymore.

I'm not sure why I started up again, though I really haven't looked at "my farm" in a day or two which leads me to believe I'm not THAT committed to the game anymore and the fact that I touched it was purely just an aberration.

It is, however, kind of fun to think, and talk, about.

• If anything really started this stroll down memory lane this week, it was my text conversation with my friend at the beginning of the week. We were talking about the past -- or I should say, they were talking about the past. Eventually it came time for me to share, but I didn't because what I have to say seriously isn't meant for text message -- actually isn't not something I share typically share over e-mail or a phone call (or I rarely share it that way). However, it's a part of my life that has had a significant impact on who I am today so once I've decided someone is worthy of really knowing me I'm happy to share it with them.

So, as you would imagine, knowing at some undetermined point in time my friend and I will be having the second half of this conversation I have been thinking a lot this week about how much my life has changed and how much I have changed (both for the better).

In some really messed up way (and trust me, it is very messed up that I am making this next statement), I'm happy for what I've been through. Don't get me wrong, if I could have a "do over," I would totally change this part of my life, but alas it DID happen so... I had a lot to learn and I guess this is how I was meant to learn those lessons. I can't change what happened, so I figured out how to become a better person from it instead of letting it get the best of me (which at one point I was concerned would be the case).

Personally, I think right now I'm the best version of myself I've ever been. (Though, I am kind of bias.)

No comments:

Post a Comment