Monday, February 13, 2012

The Chicken that almost killed Me

• About a month ago, while feasting on boneless chicken wings, I almost choked -- some bites went down the wrong pipe. I didn't realize this was the case until I tried to take a drink of water. I immediately spit the water up and started coughing in an attempt to dislodge the piece of chicken wing. In the process, I bent over, and began to tear-up. After the piece of chicken wing dislodged itself -- and without the Heimlich Maneuver might I add -- I took a few moments to regain my composure. Now, if this were a normal night out, this would have been a scary moment, but this wasn't a normal night dinner out, and thankfully that is why there is actually some humor to the whole situation.

See, the restaurant my friend and I were at was quite busy, so we agreed to let two strangers sit at the same table as us -- a nice couple whom by the end of our dinner I wanted to friend on Facebook because they were so awesome. Ok, I will digress and get back to my story... This all took place the evening of the 49ers/Saints conference game ... the table we were sitting at was perfect for all of us to view the action since there were tvs in all possible directions. So even though there was conversation taking place, watching football was taking place as well. As I was regaining my composure, the guy sitting next to me, whose name escapes me, could see I had teared-up, so he said to me, "Are you a 49ers fan? Did that last play upset you?" Apparently he thought the reason I had teared-up, had to do with a play that wasn't in the 49ers favor at had taken place at the same exact time as my little digestion issue. I laughed, and then told him why I had teared-up. He had no clue what was going on.

I realize that it was about a month ago this took place (and I might not being doing a very good job at telling this story at the moment), but I still laugh about it. That weekend seemed to be chicken-oriented as I had spent the prior day at a friend's house with the specific intent to checkout the chickens that reside in her backyard.

Nowadays, I merely mention the word "chicken" and some of my friends start telling bad chicken jokes. (Crap Monkey! Is this my legacy?) Mostly, I won't forget the innocent ignorance of a stranger that made a scary situation into a funny memory for me.

• Normally I would pass on even posting something like this, but I just LOVE Jen Lancaster's response to a request she received from a guy asking her to help mend things with his wife after he cheated on her.

I wish I could understand why those that cheat think it's ok.... It's not like fidelity is a difficult or obscure concept to understand... I mean, it's pretty basic and straightforward if you ask me.

Anyhow, kudos to Jen! It was the perfect response!

• In the middle of winter heat and hot water are ideal... at I think so. Glad I didn't really go THAT long without them the other day. It probably helped I was gone most of the time they weren't working.

• Sadly, my adverse reaction to Garrett's popcorn wore off, really quickly!

• Pinterest = My new time suck!

That said, I have to impression that I'm somewhat ahead of this trend (even if it's ever so slightly). I can't tell you how exciting this is for me -- typically I'm YEARS behind on stuff like this.

(Have I mentioned I'm just starting to watch The Big Bang Theory and How I Met Your Mother? I have 5 seasons worth of BBT to catch up on, and 6 seasons of HIMYM to catch up on. I see a lot of loafing around watching tv in my future!)

• I'm having trouble passing up the opportunity to go somewhere that a friend of mine described as "an utterly picturesque resort town with wine, eating and beaches"? I've been told it's well-known town, yet feels like it's undiscovered. I love places like that -- I'm leaning towards packing my bags and checking this place out!

• My first 2012 sock club package got delivered today . . . SO EXCITED!

I forgot how much fun it is to anticipate a yarn delivery. Thankfully, I was able to hold off on looking at any spoilers on Rav. I'm so glad, and I didn't have to wait long to see what kind of yarn we got, and what the patterns look like!

(And yes, I will always been a nerd when it comes to yarn and knitting -- and damn proud of it!)


• How do you explain to insurance companies and the IRS that yarn should be considered a covered medical expense? (Only knitters and crocheters will understand why I say this.)

• Once upon a time I use to be able to post at least 14 thoughts on these random thoughts post... Now I can barely get nine, what's happening to me???

1 comment:

  1. We'll have to discuss BBT more often, as well. I'm only 5 episodes into it.
    This was fun to read. Nine is just fine. :)

    ReplyDelete