Thursday, March 28, 2013

Book Review: For Internal Use Only

It's not a well-known fact, but amongst my many hobbies is a love of photography.  Being able to capture a moment in time with the click of a button is a feeling I cannot explain, but a very special feeling to me nonetheless.

With the love of photography comes a special way of looking at the world around you, even when you are not in back of the lens.  Even the smallest detail doesn't escape you.  This is how I believe the main character in For Internal Use Only by Cari Kamm feels about photography.

When readers first meet photographer, Chloe Kassidy, she is on the edge of change in both her professional and personal life.  Just as she is accepted to a prestigious photography exhibit, called "Love Through Light", her personal life experiences a boost as well when she is introduced to a charming man named Christoph Kostas.  After many years of putting off love for her career, Chloe sets out to see if love is something she can experience both behind and in front of the camera.

Chloe is a wonderful character.  I feel she represents a strong woman with a good sense of who she is and isn't afraid to speak her mind.  This is especially something I feel is important when it comes to matters of the heart.  She continually seeks to figure out what love is, and if it is possible to have a successful career and personal life at the same time; a question I feel a lot of women struggle with in our society today.  Though Christoph wasn't my favorite character in the world he is someone I love to hate.  I believe he is a realistic portrayal of men I've known before and I see how Chloe can be drawn to him.

From the very first page, Cari Kamm paints detailed pictures of Chloe and her world that makes you feel like you are right there living each moment with her.  I also like how she incorporated e-mail and text message correspondence seamlessly into the story.  I have a special fondness for this type of storytelling as I feel modern communication is now so prevalent in the stories of day-to-day life.

Lastly, I like how this story has a unique twist.  I won't spoil it for you, but what I will say is that this story doesn't end with everything resolved at the end.  Usually this irks me to no end, but as time goes on I'm growing fonder to this approach as it stays true to how life is.

No comments:

Post a Comment