Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Back in the Game

Today I got back to training for 5k races.

The last race I ran was a 5 mile race on Thanksgiving. I hadn't planned on running any races on Thanksgiving let alone a 5 mile race, however I randomly heard about a local Turkey Trot and decided to check it out. (This is a word of mouth kind of thing, so I figured it was fate that I had found out about it and thus I was meant to participate in this race.)

I had a lot of fun; especially considering the fact that I really hadn't run much in the weeks following my first 5k in October. Also, I didn't die during the race which is the main goal both S and I strive for in each and every race we participate in. (Unlike a lot of runners, we consider an improved time a bonus.)

I continued to run on a regular basis after Thanksgiving, but mainly due to the LSAT looming ahead - I needed a way to blow-off the extra energy the anticipation of the exam had given me. After that came and went, I took a self-imposed hiatus from running, and exercise as well. Simply put, I had pushed myself so hard in 2011 that I knew I needed to take things easy for awhile... so that's what I did!

What I didn't anticipate was how hard it would be to get back into the swing of things once 2012 came around. Honestly, it was really difficult even though I being sedentary for just a few weeks was killing me. (Never thought I'd say that...) With temperatures being what they were, I did a lot of running at the gym. This wasn't ideal as my gym doesn't have a track, but beggars can't be choosers and I just wanted to start running again. As I mentioned above, it was difficult to get back into the swing of things, and I have to admit I had a lot of false starts. Either I'd be busy with other things, or make-up an excuse not to go.

Somewhere in February I started realizing it was time to get serious. I still wanted to accomplish my goal of running 12 races in 2012 and sitting around wasn't going to help me towards reaching that goal. Still it was difficult to get my butt in gear and I wavered on this "silly" goal of mine. At one point I even considered giving it up.

Today it was absolutely beautiful... 64 degrees and sunny. I think that is what finally woke-up the part of me that loves running so much and got me going... It told me I would have been a fool to pass up a chance to run in such amazing weather (especially considering it is the middle of March). So, despite some reluctance, I got back to running outside and enjoyed the Spring-like weather.

It was a tough run. I'm not going to sugar coat it. However, if memory serves me right the first time I ran outside last Fall wasn't so fantastic either. (Running outside and running on a treadmill are two totally different experiences.) I didn't get a fabulous time today, but I survived my run -- I didn't die.

I don't anticipate my next race to be a fabulous time either. It's very soon and I can't imagine I'll be back in shape enough to perform like I did in my first race. Honestly, I just want to complete the race (without dying). If I get a respectable time, than that's even than much better.

Today's run did a lot for me. It made me realize how much I missed not only being active, but more specifically running. It gave me the kick in the ass to start seriously training again. And, despite the fact that it was tough, it pumped me up so much that I even started to identify races taking place this year so I will in fact achieve my goal of 12 races in 2012.... Hell, maybe I'll even go for a knitters dozen (14).

Whatever I decide, I know one thing for sure -- I'm back in the game!

1 comment: