Thursday, August 15, 2013

The 8 Hour Date

This week for the Thursday Blog Project, Jeanette gave us the topic of: Our worst date

Sigh... Oh my... my... where does one begin with this topic?

After giving it much thought, I decided that I would write about a "non-date" I once had without knowing I had this non-date.  What's a "non-date" you ask?  Well, it's a date that you didn't know was a date until the person you're with goes to kiss you, as you're saying good-bye, and tells you they haven't stopped thinking about you since you two broke-up almost two years earlier.  The kicker of the non-date is that a week or so later when you go back to them to talk about it and find out if they want to pursue a relationship, they tell you they didn't mean to give you the wrong idea.  WTF?!?!  This then leads you to believe they were just looking to hook-up.  

AWE-SOME-NESS!!!

However, after ever more thought I decided I didn't want to go into great detail about that "date" because it wasn't a happy memory and it is in the distant past.  Instead, I decided I wanted to focus on a more positive experience... so I decided to change the topic a bit to one of the best dates I've ever had.

Said date started off by me and "the Italian" meeting in the Chicago neighborhood of Lincoln Park.  Our primary destination that afternoon was Lincoln Park Zoo as I hadn't been there since I was a kid.  As we made our way into the zoo, we passed by a group of girl picnicking.  Turns out, one of the girls was a really good friend of the Italian.  I was introduced to the group and then we briefly chatted with the group.  As we made our way into the park I told the Italian there was no way we'd run into anyone I knew.  He didn't believe me.  I told him I was so sure of this that I would bet ANYTHING.  (Typically, I hate using the word never; however, when it comes to running into people when I'm out and about that IS something that NEVER happens.)

After being at the zoo for an hour or two, we strolled through the park and continued to talk and laugh.  When we came upon a fountain, we mutually decided that we needed to make a wish as so many others had apparently done, so we both found a penny to use for such an activity.  I was tempted to ask the Italian what his wish was, but knew if he told me he would want to know mine.  (Or, I suspect he would want to know mine.)  After making our wishes, we sat at the fountain and talked some more until we decided we were hungry and finding a place to have dinner was a must.

Since neither one of us really had a feel for this area of the world we started randomly walking about and walking into places looking to see what kind of food they served.  The first place was a major dive and I was ready to bolt the minute we walked in the door.  Finally after surveying our surroundings, we finally settled on a local pub where we ate and talked, even more.

"The Friendly Confines" around sunset...
After dinner we decided to take a walk around the area.  Or at first it was a walk around the immediate area; however, it then it extended beyond Lincoln Park and went into Wrigleyville.  Thankfully I was with another Cubs fan so walking past "The Friendly Confines" (a.k.a. - Wrigleyfield) around sunset was actually sorta romantic.  We paused for a moment and took in the beautiful site of the stadium.



As we moved forward, time began to fly by - and so did the neighborhoods.  For whatever reason, we decided to take a break from our walk and stopped at a park.  The conversation flowed as we sat on the swings and let our inner children have a moment to enjoy the day, too.

All-in-all, we walked for approximately two hours and four miles (I believe).  Honestly, I wasn't totally keeping track.  When we got to our predetermined, final destination we continued to talk for another half hour/hour and then finally determined we should say "good-night".

It was 10 pm at that point, and it felt as though the day had flown by in the blink of an eye.

I smile whenever I think about that date.  It truly was one of the best dates I've ever had thus far!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now that's I've talked about one of my past dates, please take a moment to see what my fellow bloggers have to say about one of their past dates:

Momarock (Sara)

Merryland Girl (Melissa)

GoodVibrations (Jeanette)

2 comments:

  1. Glad you had such a good experience!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Like Melissa said, I'm glad you had a good date! And, that nothing further happened with the ex! What a jerk!

    ReplyDelete