Monday, August 26, 2013

10 things I haven't done because I've been out living life

As of recent I've been mentioning to a fellow writer friend of mine that I haven't worked on my book as much as I wanted to this summer and how I was a tad envious that she was in the process of writing her inquiry letter.  Her reply to my remark was basically that I should be since I had been out living life this whole time instead of being stuck inside writing - unlike her.

Ok, she had a point there, but nonetheless there was still a long, long, long laundry list of things I hadn't done as a result of said "life living".  Since we're nearing the end of summer and my fellow MOTs (members of the tribe) and I are on the cusp of a new year, I thought I'd put together a list of things I should probably attend to sooner rather than later as they have been put off due to living life to the fullest.  This includes, but is not limited to:

  1. Unpack/Decorate:  Yep!  Though it's not totally horrible, there are still many boxes to be unpacked and moved out of my new place.  Also, I'm living with mostly barren, white walls.
  2. Spend time with Elsie: Lately, Elsie has been running up to the door as I leave.  When I get home, sometimes not until later in the evening after work, she is sitting in front of the door waiting for me.  I'd like to say this is normal, but she never did this before we moved.  
  3. Sleep:  At some point, getting home at 11 PM on any given night has become the norm which is funny because 9/9:30 PM is when I really need to go to sleep so I'm not a total bitch, dragging or overly emotional (ah.. the things exhaustion can do to a person) when I get up at 5:30 AM-ish the next morning.  It's been difficult managing a lot of late nights and at one point I scheduled in some evenings where "the plan" for that evening was to sit on my lovely new sofa and veg with Elsie. (Never thought I'd have to do such a thing!)
  4. Write thank you notes: I have a long, long, long list of thank you notes I want to write that just haven't gotten done.
  5. Read: As much as I love my new commute that affords me an extra half hour of sleep in the morning, it also means that the time I have on the train during my commute to and from work is less.  I have yet to figure out when I'm going to make up for this time later in the day.  Hopefully I'll figure it out soon... I'm MEGA behind on this!
  6. Stay on top of getting letters of recommendation: In my ideal world I'm applying for a competitive artist retreat that requires you to get two letters of recommendation.  I have one, but not the second.  This wouldn't bother me so much if the deadline wasn't right around the corner.
  7. Get my application for artist retreat completed and sent: I think this is self explanitory.
  8. Train for my next race: Ooops!  This should be interesting.
  9. Pay my bills: Ok, I haven't totally forgotten to pay my bills, but I have cut it close on a few of them that don't get automatically paid.
  10. Work on my book (as I mentioned above): This is a BIG ONE!  It's the thing that inspired this post.  I set a very aggressive deadline for the first draft of my book and it's looking like I'm not gonna make it.  I know life happens, but I really need to get back to working on this.
When all is said and done, it has been a super fun summer.  Possibly one of the best on record.  So, I guess if anything I'm happy that my procrastination has been the result of having LOTS of fun rather than something less enjoyable. 

1 comment:

  1. Glad it's all been for good reasons. Hope you get a chance to get these items back on track. I need to make a list like this!

    ReplyDelete