Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Does it pay to be attractive?

Last week, for the Thursday Blog Project, Sara asked us to read this article and give our thoughts on it.

I heard about this case a few month ago and to say the least I was outraged.  Let's start with the obvious reason this pissed me off... I'm a women and the thought of a woman losing her job because her male boss couldn't control his urges and/or his wife has too many insecurities is beyond my understanding.  Seriously(!) 

Then there is the former HR professional in me that wants to scream, "What about Equal Opportunity Laws that are suppose to protect again the Civil Rights Act of 1964 that prohibits employment discrimination based on race, sex, color, national origin or religion???"  How does this NOT violate these laws???  This is where I wish I was an employment law attorney so I could dissect the argument made by the dentist's attorney.  Or understand how the court came to its decision.... but alas I am not a legal eagle, so I don't have the training to do such a thing. :(

I'm not sure what else I can say about this without sounding like I'm ranting on and on about the topic.

On a somewhat related note... during a conversation I was having with a friend the idea that ones attractiveness determines how much of a jerk/bitch they can be in a relationship.  During this conversation it was proposed that someone who is drop-dead gorgeous can be more of a jerk/bitch in a relationship to their significant other versus someone who is just average or not so attractive at all.  I can't say I've seen this play out and thus can't make a call on it, but I think it plays into this idea of firing someone for being "too attractive". 

I believe one of the biggest problems with both scenarios is that what is "attractive" is mostly subjective.  Sure there are those you can't deny are attractive, but honestly what is very attractive to one person isn't to another.

Now that I've given you some of my thoughts on this topic, please see what my fellow bloggers have to say on it....

Momarock (Sara)

Merryland Girl (Melissa)

GoodVibrations (Jeanette)

1 comment:

  1. That's interesting about the conversation in terms of relationships. I'm sure there is some power balance based on perceived attractiveness. Hence, trophy wives. :P

    ReplyDelete