Saturday, September 15, 2012

Controversial Topics - Two for the Price of One

Normally, I don't bundle blog project topics, but this week I am because getting last week's post written didn't happen until now.  (My MEGA bad!)

Last week, I asked the group to talk about this article.  Now it's not in my nature to pick a topic that is controversial, but when I saw the above article about a Charter School in Louisiana that has created a policy that penalize students who are pregnant or are suspected of being pregnant and refuse to take a pregnancy test I went against the grain.

Unless you've been living under a rock lately (and even then I'm pretty sure the "under the rock people have heard about this as well), the reproductive rights of women has been a hot topic for sometime now.  Though I never talk my personal thoughts on the specifics decisions I would make for my own self in regards to these matters (as they are personal decisions), I do talk about how I believe that women should be able to make their own choices that works for them and not be told by any governing body or any individual what is right and wrong.

Personally, I don't know how this charter school is getting away with enforcing this policy.  What they are doing is illegal - plain and simple.  Also, I have to ask, what about the boy who gets a student pregnant?  Do they not remember the basics of reproduction - unless something has changed recently that I am not aware of, it takes two people for conception to take place.  Does this school think that other students won't know who they are?  I would be willing to bet that isn't the case.  Kids know more than they let on, and information  like this spreads FAST!

This week, Sarah ask us to take a look at an article on Canada's consideration of a law to ban spanking.

I don't have a lot to say on this topic.  I was spanked as a child, and I wouldn't say it scared me.  I've never been a parent so I can't say that I've used spanking as a form of discipline.

The only thing I can say about this topic is that I'm not sure how they would monitor this type of ban.  Would it be like laws here are now, where if a child says they were abused a parent gets arrested?  I've seen a child threaten to call the police and tell them their parent(s) are abusive as a way to get their way. (I'm being completely serious.)  As much as child abuse is a serious epidemic, it's scary to see a child do such a thing.

With all that in mind, I recommend you take a moment to see what my fellow bloggers have to say about the two topics above:

The charter school article:

Merryland Girl (Melissa)

Mom of Many (Susanna)

Momarock (Sara)

The spanking article:

 • Merryland Girl (Melissa)

Mom of Many (Susanna)

Momarock (Sara)

1 comment:

  1. I like how you combined things. The first part reminded me of a guy from my HS who wrote an article for Sassy magazine about getting his gf (who my sister knew) at the time pregnant. Then later a friend of mine said she was dating him and I blurted out "He got a girl pregnant!" She knew anyway, but super embarrassing on my end. LOL!

    ReplyDelete