Thursday, October 3, 2013

Downward Facing Dog

Before I start discusing today's Thursday Blog Project topic, I wanted to take a moment to say that our group is going through some more changes. At the moment, it is just Melissa, Sara and I who are participating in this blogging project.  There may be a fourth joining us soon, but for right now it's just the three of us.

A little less than a month ago I walked into a new location of lululemon that had just opened up in one of the malls I frequented as a kid.  To be honest, when I first discovered lululemon i was shocked that this mall didn't have one given it's geographic location, so when I saw one was opening up my first thought was, "It's about time!"

choose your happy(!)
One of the things I checked on this particular visit were the gym bags.  For all intents and purposes it would seem I don't need a gym back since I have a locker at my "home" gym location I still looked.  (Surely I could find a purpose for such a bag... right?!)  When I looked inside the bag I found a tag that read, "choose your happy".  

I immediately smiled!!!

The first thing that came to mind was the coincidence that happiness is something I was talking and reading a lot about since it the theme at Chick Lit Central at the time just happened to be "Happiness" and I had just written an introduction to our September Go-To-Gay column where I talked about one of the things that brought me happiness - running.  It was this fact that made it seem almost "besherte" that I had found this tag in a store like lululemon.  However, what made it more appropriate is that when I think of this store I mainly think of it for items to support another hobby of mine that makes me happy - the practice of yoga.

I've been practicing yoga now for about 8 months.  I can't say that I LOVE every single class I've ever taken, but I can say I'm not the same when I go a week or two without attending a class.  As "granola" as it may sound, I can definitely can tell a difference in the way my body functions when I haven't been to a class at all during the week.  Truth be told, if I could I would take a class everyday. 

Yoga has gotten me through some tough times.  When I was in the thick of pre-move crap I sought out yoga classes close to my home.  On the days I took off to pack and coordinate all the my move stuff, I specifically carved time out my day to attend  yoga class at a local studio. 

Yoga has given me clarity.  I've had sometimes when I couldn't clear my head during my practice, but it did give me the clarity I needed at the time to tackle the matters that were bothering me. 

Yoga has enabled me to be strong.  And I'm not just speaking of physical strength, but also it has taught given me strength in character.

I can't preach the benefits of yoga enough and beginning to practice yoga is one of the best decisions I made this year.

________________________________________________________________________________

Now that I've talked about one of the ways I "choose my happy," please take a moment to find out how my fellow bloggers choose their happy:

Momarock (Sara)

Merryland Girl (Melissa)

2 comments:

  1. I feel the same way about yoga. It does something for your mind, body, and spirit- I use it to help ease the aches and pains associated with running, but it's also great for calming and centering myself. Great post!

    ReplyDelete