Friday, June 22, 2012

Not All Acts of Kindness are Random


For the Thursday Blog Group topic this week, Sara asked us to talk about the following: What is a random act of kindness you've witnessed, or that you've done, or that someone has done for you?

At first when I read this topic I was all, "Right on! This is definitely up my alley." However, since then I have thought more about what I was going to say and realized I was going to have a harder time with this topic than I first imagined.

Now, the first thing you should know is that the reason I felt like I was going to have a hard time with this topic doesn't have to do with my lack of kindness towards others or lack of others showing kindness (whether towards me or someone else). It's more that the "random" acts of kindness, that aren't really random sometimes, are special to me and not something I feel is necessary to broadcast into cyberspace. It is this fact that makes it difficult to choose something to talk about this week.

After much consideration, I will share this story with you....

This past Mother's Day weekend, I spent Saturday and Sunday with my mom. The day started with manicures in the morning and then brunch with mom and my middle sister-in-law. Prior to brunch, I told my mom I wanted to pick up a card for my msil and that I would see her at the restaurant. Mom knew I was planning on driving separately to brunch, but what she didn't know was that I was picking something up for her as well. At brunch, I had for both my mom and msil a dozen roses. They both LOVED them!

After a lovely meal, once again mom and I went separate ways. Mom had errands to tend to so I went to her place for a bit before I went out that evening. While at mom's I straightened up her place and did dishes.

Later that evening when I got home from being out, as we chatted mom made a comment that she was going to do the dishes from the dinner party she had had the night before, but she was too tired so she would do them in the morning. I looked at her, and asked if she had been in the kitchen recently. She said, "No" and then went in there to see why I was asking. When she saw the empty sink she stood there in shock. She then asked why I had done them. I told her she got my cleaning services as part of her Mother's Day present. Mom was ELATED!!! It was at this moment that I realized that something is simple as helping clean is the best present I could ever give her at this point in her life. It was one less thing she had to think of doing and gave her a chance to rest.

Since then weekend, I have made it a point to help clean up around my mom's place whenever I am over there. I've even helped do her laundry as well. The last time I was there, as I was cleaning up, mom said, "I love this! It's like Mother's Day all over again." It made me happy to hear and is what makes me continue to do this not so random act of kindness.


----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Now that I have talked about my random act of kindness, please take a moment to read about the random acts of kindness my fellow bloggers have experienced or done.

Momarock (Sara)

Merryland Girl (Melissa)

Mom of Many (Susanna)

1 comment:

  1. that is really sweet. i hope my kids will do that in the future. :)

    ReplyDelete