Thursday, June 7, 2012

Thoughts About Summer

There's no denying it... summer is here!


Though it's not officially summer (the Summer Solstice is June 20th), consistent warmer temps have arrived and the sun is out longer and longer each day. To mark the occasion, Susanna asked the Thursday Blog Project group to write summer. More specifically: It is summer. Do you dread the hot, humid days that can lack structure or do you relish the slower pace? Or is it just another day?

I have mixed emotions about summer. I'm an outdoors type of person. Nothing makes me happier than to spend hours on end taking walks, running, sitting outside when at a restaurant, etc. Being cooped up indoors just doesn't jive well with me. On the flip-side, when temperatures and humidity levels jump, I am not so happy. I went through four very hot and humid summer when I was in college and that was enough for me. Basically that type of weather puts a bit of a damper on my outdoor activities.

With that in mind, there is always going the option of finding ways to cool off while one is outside. Last summer, I worked in a part of the downtown Chicago area called the loop. To be more precise I could, for all intents and purposes, throw a rock at Millennium Park. Since that was the case, I spent a lot of my lunches at MP. I thought it was wrong to not take advantage of my proximity to such a nice place to hangout in the city. It was, however, hot and humid when I was outside in the middle of the day so I found ways to cool off. Often this meant walking through the pool of water that accumulates between the two main fountains. I also had a special spot I would go to and soak my feet. Even though I wasn't swimming in the water, it did seem to cool me off -- even if it was just a little bit.

My summer days are never really not structured. Actually, I think the summer, for me, has even more structure than normal because I want to fit so many things into each day. Sometime I actually need to stop myself and just take a pause... outside of course!

At the end of the day, I always look forward to summer regardless of the weather. There are so many things to look forward too. Whether it's knitting events, family gathering or just my weekend walks/runs summer is packed with tons of great memories for me.

Now that I've shared my thoughts on the dog daze of summer, please take a moment to see what my fellow bloggers have to say:

Mom of Many (Susanna)

Merryland Girl (Melissa)

Momarock (Sara)



No comments:

Post a Comment