Sunday, March 27, 2016

Red

I'm not one to buy many clothing items that are red.  Maybe I've obtained a red t-shirt here or there, or an item that has red accents.

For last week's Thursday Blog Project, Sara asked us to write about :  Should anyone have the right to dictate what we wear in public?

Confession:  I chuckled when I saw this topic because I had just been discussing something related to this topic with my best friend.  I was discussing with her how I didn't understand why red was a color observant Jews couldn't wear - or at least super observant Jews don't wear the color.  The conversation was sparked from a post I had seen online about a red skirt someone wishes they could find in a darker color because tznius (modesty) guidelines doesn't condone the wearing of the color red (and other bright/loud colors) because it attracts attention. 

Okay, first let me say I don't stay away from red because of tznius.  Period.  However, my dress when I go to shul is different than when I'm out and about.  It doesn't have anything to do with someone telling me what I can and cannot wear.  It's more me deciding what I feel is appropriate for the environment I'm going to be in.  If there were a time I'm more likely to follow tznius guidelines it would be when I go for Shabbos and High Holiday services.  When I go to learning events at most Shuls I actually wear jeans or capri pants (during the Spring/Summer), which is not tznius as women are not suppose to wear pants.  Furthermore, I wear short sleeves unlike the 3/4 length tznius guideline.  I have no problem with tznius guidelines... they just don't fit my lifestyle.

Now onto answering the question posed to us.... the only problem that I have with giving a flat "No" answer to this question posed is that it sets the stage for things I believe are flat out wrong in public.  For example, if you say "No, people shouldn't dictate what others wear in public" then, in my mind, someone may interpret that as it's okay for someone to go out in public in a t-shirt, but nothing covering the lower half of their body.  Or visa versa.  If the question were something like, "Should anyone have the right to dictate what we wear in public, outside the boundaries of socials norms/decency?" then my answer would probably be as long as it wasn't hurting someone then people should be able to wear whatever they want wherever they want . . .  which would bring to me to a story about the time I went to the opening night of the Lyric Opera season in a nice pair of pants and top.  People were dressed up super fancy.  During intermission these two women looked at me with VERY disapproving looks.  I'm sure you can guess the things that went through my mind at that moment.

Now that I've discussed my thought on the topic of if people should be able to dictate what others wear in public (and the color red), please take a moment to see what my fellow blogger had to say:

Momarock (Sara)

Merryland Girl (Melissa)

Darwin Shrugged (Denise)

2 comments:

  1. I would have been so annoyed with the ladies at the opera. It's not like you were wearing jeans and a T-shirt. Did you need to wear a ball gown?!?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Opening night is a VERY fancy event. Still, it wasn't warranted.

      Delete