Monday, March 7, 2016

You Really Can Take It With You

Recently, Melissa brought to our attention this article.  She used it as the inspiration for that week's Thursday Blog Project topic: Write about whatever is on your mind. It could be a long post about one thing. It could be a random list. Anything goes!




Part of the reason I'm writing this blog post now and not the week it actually happened has to do with the fact that I've had a lot of things going on that have been consuming my brain.  Some of them are work related.  Some of them personal life related.  I've been trying to figure out how to write about them without getting too personal or oversharing.  I get that getting personal makes for a "good" blog post, but as many know there is a line between what I am willing to share on this blog and what I'm not willing to share.

The Sunday after this post should have posted I went for funeral prearrangement for someone close to me.  They aren't ill (BH!), but they are feeling the need to start planning for the inevitable.  Truth be told, though I knew it was expensive I never knew HOW expensive a funeral/burial really is and made me rethink the old saying, "You can't take your money with you when you die."  (Since I'm not sure who started that say so obviously I can't properly attribute it to one specific person.)

All joking aside, even in death socioeconomic classes are separated in many ways.  First there is the method of final wishes -  cremation or burial.  Though I'm not familiar with the cost of the former, I know that the cost of the latter does drive some to the former.  If you choose the burial, there is the level of casket you get.  In Judaism this is supposed to be super cheap.  A plain pine box; however, as I learned this isn't necessarily the case.  Turns out, a traditional casket can be as plain simple as you'd like it be or as fancy as you'd like it to be.  The simplistic side of me says, "Why spend SO much on something that is going in the ground."  This model is around $1,000.  The compassionate said of me says, "This person deserves a nice casket."  This model is around $2,000.  Then there is the side of me that knows everyone attending the funeral will be judging the family on the type of casket.  At this point you're talking about $3,000+.

Then there is the vault.  Your basic starter vault is around $800.  From there you can get ones that have designs on the top, pictures of the deceased and even colored tops.  All I could think is "Pimp my vault."

So the next time you hear someone say, "You can't take your money with you when you die," I believe you can correct them that you in fact can take your money with you when you die.

Now that I've shared some of my thoughts, please take a moment to see they thoughts my fellow blogger shared with everyone:

Momarock (Sara)

Merryland Girl (Melissa)

Darwin Shrugged (Denise)

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the insight into funeral planning. Sad that caskets cost so much when no one is going to see them after they go into the ground. I guess they could be considered a final home though.

    ReplyDelete