Thursday, August 14, 2014

"Stronger"



I don't talk much about my first half marathon experience.  When I do, typically all I share is that how 2 miles from the finish line I promised myself that I would N-E-V-E-R do something like a half marathon again.  At that time it was a one time shot - at least as far as I was concerned.  (FYI - My third half marathon takes place in September... You see how well that promise held?!)

The one thing I never really talk about is the moments leading up to the finish line. As I turned the corner and saw the ever so beautiful word "FINISH" come into view the song, Stronger (What Doesn't Kill You) by Kelly Clarkson started to play.  I couldn't have thought of a better song to be listening to when I crossed that finish line as it embodied how I felt about several things in life at that moment in time.

The Chicago Marathon is less than 60 days away.  I'm not feeling very confident right now about my abilities at the moment, but when I look back on the first couple of 5K races I did back in 2011/2012 I recall that I didn't feel good about those either.  Not only did I survived them, but also thrived as time went on. That's when I feel better and regain the confidence needed to tackle the task at hand.

In the few months I've been training I've changed - and I'm not just talking physically changed.  There has been an emotional and mental change in me as well.  The things is that the marathon training isn't the only hard "training" I've been tackling this summer... or for that matter this year.  There are other personal and professional boot camp like endeavors I've taken on that have/are transforming me.  Transforming me for the better (at least that is what I believe).

I meant what I said in the letter to myself that posted a few weeks ago.  I am excited to meet myself on October 12, 2014.  No matter what the outcome is in terms of making it to the start line of the Chicago Marathon or what happens during the race, I know that I will have already achieved so much more than I had ever dreamed possible.

What doesn't kill you makes you stronger?....  From my experience, SO TRUE!
__________________________________________________________________

Now that I've talked about my thoughts on the topic Denise gave us for this week's Thursday Blog Project - What doesn't kill you makes you strong - please take a moment to see what my fellow bloggers have to say:


Momarock (Sara)

Merryland Girl (Melissa)

Darwin Shrugged (Denise)

4 comments:

  1. I got teary-eyed reading this. I can't wait to hear the outcome of the marathon in October. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you loved it so much! And you know you'll probably be one of the first people to hear about the outcome of the marathon. : P

      Delete
  2. You can do this, Tracey! And I can't wait to hear about your experience!

    ReplyDelete