Thursday, February 13, 2014

The Take Away from (Unintentional) Stair Surfing

When I picked "Ebb and Flow" for this week's Thursday Blog Project topic I really didn't think that I would be doing a tribute post... and even more so a tribute post because tomorrow is Valentine's Day.  However, life is funny in that sometimes you end up doing things you never thought you would...

In my life, my relationship with my BFF has ebbed and flowed.  There is no doubt that we have truly had our ups and downs.  Thankfully, our worst ebb happened almost 10 years ago, but that doesn't mean everything has just flowed along at high levels either. (Honesty, I'd be afraid if that was the case.)

Recently, something happened to both of us (individually) that made me truly realize how much we mean to one another.  It's not like I never realized it, but I think when a bigger than normal ebb happens to someone you truly love it really emphasizes how fragile life really is.  It also scares you a little bit and makes you realize that maybe one day you'll have to know a life without that person in the world. (G-d forbid.)

Now, don't get me wrong, what happened to both of us individually wasn't a catastrophic ebb in proportion to what ebbs could be, but it could have been way worse than the two events turned out to be.  What I find most interesting about these events is that I feel they have set forth an even great flow of caring this week than we normally have for one another.  If you read the text message exchange we've had about everything you'd find that we're not so focused on our own well-being, but on the well-being of the other. (I've been told this is a sign of true friendship.)

So you may be wondering where all my rambling is going . . . Well, I'm getting there! (Promise!)

At this time I want to wish my BFF a wonderful Valentine's Day and let her know (again) that I consider one of the blessings in my life.  I've said this many, many, many times... and I will say it many, many, many more... I am so incredibly thankful that I had crooked teeth and had to get braces.  I'm thankful I got my braces when I did and that my parents sent me to the summer camp they did the summer before I got my braces so I could meet the nice, blonde curly hair girl in my group who already had braces on.  I'm thankful my BFF had braces on that summer because had she not I wouldn't have asked her what it was like to wear braces and who knows when or if we would have ever really talked.  (I'd like to think we would have, but you never know.)  I am thankful for all the circumstances that brought us together, and continue to keep us together.

I am grateful for her unconditional love, support and genuinely warm (motherly) nature.  Our friendship is the perfect example of the saying, "If you love someone set them free.  If they come back to you they are yours."  Only a few people know why I say this, but trust me when I say, it's so true!

To everyone else, may the flows in your life outweigh the ebbs... and the ebbs you do experience not be as bad as they could be.
 
__________________________________________________________________

Now that I've talked about "Ebb and Flow," please take a moment to see what my fellow bloggers have to say on the topic:

Momarock (Sara)

Merryland Girl (Melissa)

Darwin Shrugged (Denise)

2 comments: