Friday, February 21, 2014

A Blessing in Disguise

"January - will always be the day a drunk driver ended a life that ripped my heart out and shattered my plans for the future. However, had it not been for this day on the calendar, most of the people and experiences I value most would not be in my life. Other people and other places would have been in my life, but I can't imagine they would have been better. The peace that comes from accepting that has been a long time coming."

The above is from the timeline of someone I went to school with many, many years ago.  It is in reference to a drunk driving accident that ended the life of their fiance over a decade ago.

Denise's topic: Is there such a thing as a happy ending?

I can see why someone would say, "No" when answering the question at hand; however, I'm going to propose that the answer to the question is, "Yes." 

When I saw the above post I paused.  It accurately reflects how I feel about one of the hardest "I've ever experienced in my life.  Though I would never wish what happened to me on anyone, I just know that I wouldn't be the person I am today if what happened didn't happen - and I like the person I am, a lot.  Furthermore, I wouldn't know the people I know or had some of the experiences I had, such as skydiving, if I hadn't been propelled in this direction.  As the post above says, "Other people and other places would have been in my life, but I can't imagine they would have been better."  And quite frankly, I've met some really awesome people over the years following this period of my life.  

What happened had to happen so my being would break down in order for it to be rebuilt into a better, stronger and more confident person.  And it gives me so much pleasure to be able to say all this and mean in with all the sincerity in world.

So, what the heck does this have to with "happy endings" you may ask?  Everything!

The ending of my old life wasn't on the surface, or in experience, "happy" as one would define the word.  (Actually, it sucked the big one! Many times over!!!)  However, it brought about a "happy beginning"  and was a blessing in disguise.

And for that I am beyond grateful!

Now that I'm told you my take on "happy endings," please take a moment to see what my fellow bloggers have to say on this topic:

Momarock (Sara)

Merryland Girl (Melissa)

Darwin Shrugged (Denise)

2 comments:

  1. I love your title for this post since we were just talking about certain blessings in disguise last night and this morning. ;) Great take on this topic too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was going to call it something else, then I got your text and loved it so much I changed it. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete