Monday, February 10, 2014

Superwoman

For last week's Thursday Blog Project, Melissa gave us a bit of an assignment:  Recently Melissa read and loved Your Perfect Life by Liz Fenton and Lisa Steinke. It's like Freaky Friday for chick lit. It made her wonder what it would be like to be one of my friends for a day and have them be me. So she paired up herself with Moma Rock (Sarah) to get a glimpse of a day in her life and me with Darwin Shrugged (Denise).

May 2013 was hectic for me.  I was not only preparing for my June 2nd move, but also trying to write (at least) 50 pages of my book for a writing retreat I had signed up for prior to deciding to move.  During that time, it came to my attention that one of the individuals who would also be at the retreat lived in the Chicagoland area.  After being introduced, virtually, we decided to meet up for lunch as we both work near one another.  So, after I finished the "big move" we set a date to meet in person.

That person was Denise, and we hit it off immediately!  I was so happy!  Not only would I go into this retreat knowing someone, but it was also someone I got along with well.  What a relief!  Not that I was worried about going to the retreat not knowing anyone, but it's always nice to know as many friendly faces as possible.  Many great memories were made on that trip and I took away a lot of things from my time there, but I wondered if we'd remain in touch after the trip... thankfully, we did!

In the following months, I've mainly gotten to know Denise through many, many, many text and facebook chat messages and her participation in this blog project.  Back in October we were able to find a time to meet up for lunch which was nice since we hadn't seen each other since June.  In the months leading up to that meeting I had learned lots of different things about her and the more I learned the more I began to believe she was really Superwoman posing as an attorney and mom (amongst other things).  However, it was our conversation on the day that we had lunch that confirmed my suspicions... I was indeed in the presence of Superwoman.  As I listened to her speak of the challenges she faces with her daughter's school and things going on in her life in general I began to wonder how I would even manage to handle one day of her life let alone every day of it.  On top of all that she has going on with her family, she also dedicates a portion of her time to visiting hospice patients.  Yes, I know I'm not a stranger to volunteering, but not in the way she does.  Not only is she giving of her time and energy, she is giving of her emotional strength.

In a way, I think that last part sums up Denise overall.  From the very first time I met her, Denise has been a very support and caring friend.  I see this same support and caring in the things she does for everyone in her life.  She accepts, and loves, those in her life who they are.

I don't feel I can do Denise justice, and clearly I can't do justice to her "Superwoman" life.  However, what I can say is that I feel fortunate to know her and look forward to getting to know her better in the days, weeks, months and years to come.

Please take a moment to see what my fellow bloggers have written on this topic:

Momarock (Sara)

Merryland Girl (Melissa)

Darwin Shrugged (Denise)

1 comment:

  1. That was really nice. I'm so glad you introduced me to Denise and invited her to our blog group!

    ReplyDelete