To say I was THRILLED is an understatement! At the time I was living in the suburbs and working in the downtown loop area. There were many days I tried to sleep on my commute in, but couldn't because of people's conversations (on their cellphones or between passengers) and/or music that was blaring out of other commuters earbuds/headphones. During those days, I had always wished there was a "safe haven" for those who wanted to sleep a bit more on their commute to work, or wanted to unwind in a quiet environment. Honestly, on the handful of evenings I've taken the train home after rush hour I cringed because the train was loud from conversations going on. (Personally, if I had it my way I'd have at lease one quite car on Metra trains.)
Cellphone conversations on public transportation is a a big pet peeve. Though I get that people want to pass the time chatting with family and friends or need to take a business call as someone sharing that common space it isn't always pleasant to hear the details of ones personal life... and let's face it, though you could try to tune out a conversation it's not so easy to do. Conversations such as the time several years back the ex and I were on our way home from work. Some woman sitting behind us was going, in much detail, about her mortgage situation. Now as interested as I am about the finances of other people (not) it was difficult to tune out this person. I think of this story each and every time I go to make a phone call when I'm in public.
I know that companies have been wanting this for several years now so they keep employees who travel working while they are in the process of working. From a business prespective I'm not sure why they would want to do this. Okay, let me back up for a moment... I get the bottom line, $$$, reasons, however do you really want your company's business matters the public knowledge of everyone sitting on any given plane? Personally, I wouldn't!
For those that feel they can't live without their phone for one minute, I'm will to bet that you can live without it for a few hours. It's easier than it looks! Trust me on this one....
The reason I bring this up has to do with Sara's topic for last week's Thursday Blog Group post: Some airlines allow it. Others don't. What's your take on airlines allowing cell phone usage while in-flight? Are you for it, or against it?
Now that I've given you some of my thoughts on this topic, please take a moment to see what my fellow bloggers have to say:
Momarock (Sara)
Merryland Girl (Melissa)
Darwin Shrugged (Denise)

I like the quiet car on the train idea. Very cool. Great post!
ReplyDelete