Tuesday, February 16, 2016

Stuck In The Body Of An Extrovert

Back in winter of 2013 I went to a workshop on the topic of friendship. My main motivation for going to this workshop was to meet individuals who lived in the city as I was preparing to move to there. As part of the workshop the presenter talked about how being an introvert or an extrovert impacts your friendships and how to approach each personality type.  Since that time I think a lot about my introvert/extrovert tendencies and the tendencies of those I surround myself. Apparently I am not the only one who thinks about this topics as Denise asked us to write about whether we are an introvert or extrovert for today's Thursday Blog Project topic.

So which am I? Since I know myself very well, I would tell you overall I'm an introvert. At some point in my life, however, I began to force myself to be an extrovert.  

Now, the fact that I've learned to be an extrovert doesn't mean my introvert tendencies don't surface. It's quite the opposite situation. There are many times I have to force myself out the door to go do something. Especially when I'm going to something knowing I won't know anyone. Not that I'm opposed to going to something alone, but sometimes it's nice to know people at events. Most of the times I'm fine with chatting with others I don't know, and have made a few friends that way; however, in some situation I just keep to myself as if I have no interest in being social.
One of the times my introvert ways are exacerbated is when I'm in larger groups. Recently, I was talking with some friends of mine about a program for young Jewish professionals that I participated in a few years back. I explained that though I liked the program overall I was happiest when we were in our small groups of 15(or so); however, even when we combined with another group (around 15 people as well) I started to become more quiet. With that in mind, I'm sure you can imagine what happened when all the groups would get together at a bar (100+ people at one time) after meeting with our smaller groups. If you guessed that I would just hangout in one spot with my water (I'm not a big drinker) then you are correct!

Another thing about me is that I hold people at arms length until I really get to know them - for better or worse. Part of this is my tendency towards being a private person.   If I had to guess, I believe this quality adds to me being shy and keeping to myself.

I've talked a lot about my introverted ways, but as I said I've become an extrovert overtime. I like to think that I've learned to balance the two tendencies. Now that I've shared some of my thoughts on this topic, please take a moment to see what my fellow blogger have to say:


Momarock (Sara)

Merryland Girl (Melissa)

Darwin Shrugged (Denise)

2 comments:

  1. For some reason, I had you pegged as an extrovert. Thanks for the insight!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You and the rest of the world. Surprised we haven't talked about this before.

      Delete