Friday, February 5, 2016

Aren't You Glad?

Several years ago, a friend of mine said to me, "Aren't you glad there were no camera phones and no internet to upload pictures to when we were in college?  None of the stupid shit we did could be posted online."

Fast forward to current times.  If you do something really "out there" in public the chances that it will get recorded and uploaded to the internet are good.  Especially if it's something like this: "Miami Doctor Accused of Attacking Uber Driver Calls It 'Biggest Mistake of My Life'".

This sets the stage for this week's Blog Project topic.  I asked everyone to write about the following:  This individual is now on administrative leave until her employer can determine if there are grounds to terminate her. This brings up the question as to whether or not an individual's job should be in jeopardy because they had a meltdown (or indiscretion) in public, outside of work hours, that was recorded and posted online. Share your thoughts on this matter.

I'm not an attorney, so I can't go through the legal aspects of why an employer may have to let someone go if such an incident were recorded and uploaded to the internet.  The business side of my mind could go through the potential reasons to review such actions and I understand the need of an organization to make sure they aren't putting their employees and clients (patients in this case) in harms way.  Furthermore, I don't condone such behavior, especially when it gets abusive.

The personal side of me is very bothered that our worst moments can now be subject to judgement by those around the world who don't know us and don't know the circumstances that brought us to that moment.  I'm also bothered by the society we live in now.  A society where one's life could be ruined by one bad moment experienced in public.  A society where people are incredibly cruel online... I believe we're all familiar with cyber-bullying.

This is not the first time someone has been caught on tape behaving in a less then favorable way, nor will it be the last.  And though, as I mentioned above I get the business/legal side of things, I find it hard to believe that now just by the mere act of stepping out our front door we consent to the potential of everything we do in public being open to being recorded and distributed for the world to see.  Furthermore it costing us our professional career.

I realize I'm going off on a tangent of sorts, but in a way I'm hypersensitive to it due to some of the affiliations I have in my life.  These affiliations have left my actions when I'm out and about up for questioning - or so I feel at times.  I'm sometimes afraid I'm going to say something or express options someone doesn't like and associate it with this other party.  Is that fair?  No.  Is it a possibility? Yes.  Sadly, it appears to me the line between personal and professional can be blurred very easily these days.

Again, I respect the reasons behind an organization looking into whether or not such incidents are grounds for termination.  My bigger problem is the cold fact we now live in a world where if you fuck-up in public, even in a small way, the price could potentially be a big one.

Now that I've expressed my thoughts on this matter, please take a moment to see what my fellow bloggers have to say:


Momarock (Sara)

Merryland Girl (Melissa)

Darwin Shrugged (Denise)

1 comment:

  1. Great post on a thought-provoking topic. I agree with what you had to say. It's scary that we can't just be ourselves without worrying that the littlest thing will be recorded and blown out of proportion.

    ReplyDelete