Friday, October 3, 2014

Wanting Something You Never Knew You Wanted Until It Was (Almost) Gone

The topic I choose for this week's Thursday Blog Project was: It's that moment where...

I've been thinking this statement a lot lately.  Sometimes the things are simple....

"It's that moment you realize you have an important dinner party to attend soon and a closet full of 'nothing to wear.'"

"It's that moment where you realize you know all the prompt number to push to not only access your voice mail, but also save messages without even looking at the buttons on the phone."

"It's that moment where you realize you treat your pet like you would a child."

This week a big one came to my mind...

"It's that moment where you realize you want something you never you wanted until it was (almost) gone."

This came to my mind Wednesday afternoon as I was walking to the gym to workout.  There are a mere only 9 days until the Chicago Marathon and my drive to run on a daily basis is wavering.

After completing a 20 mile race almost two weeks ago I was done with training.  At first I couldn't imagine how completing 20 miles meant I would rock-out 26.2.  I'm not the best at math, but that's an extra 6.2 miles to complete.  Anywhere from an hour or two depending on your pace.  However, somewhere around this past Wednesday a big part of me shifted and I knew that if I was able to finish 20 miles, I was ready to take on 26.2 miles.  (Note: I'm still not exactly sure how this actually makes logical sense, but it's how I feel.  It's actually how a lot of people I know doing the Chicago Marathon this year feel.)  This led me to thinking about the whole training process.  Where I was back in...
  •  March - when I entered the lottery.  
  •  April - when I got notified I was in the marathon.  
  •  May - when I knew I had to start training, but was in great denial of this fact. 
  •  June  - when I couldn't stop complaining about the ridged training schedule and how tired I was all the time.
  •  July - when a magical transition took place and suddenly training wasn't so hard after all and I wasn't tired all the time
  •  August - when I realized this was actually happening.
  •  September - when I began to recognize how this training process has changed me not only physically, but also mentally and emotionally.  How it has changed me as an overall person.
  •  Late September/ Early October (Now) - when I realized that this whole experience was something I never knew I wanted so badly until it was almost over.
During this whole time, I didn't want to take the journey to the start line of the Chicago Marathon for granted.  I wanted to live every moment possible and learn from it.  When you're in the throws of any intense process, such as training for a marathon, you can't see what you're getting out it the experience.

I'm still not sure everything I've gotten out of this training process.  How I've changed since the beginning of the year, however little different are peaking out of the woodwork.  And though I am starting to see those differences, I still look forward to meeting myself on October 12, 2014.  I'm sure more changes will come to light that day.

So once again, I say....

"It's that moment where you realize you want something you never you wanted until it was (almost) gone."

_______________________________________________________________
Now that I have talked about my "moment," please see what my fellow bloggers have to say about their moments:

Momarock (Sara)

Merryland Girl (Melissa)

Darwin Shrugged (Denise)

2 comments:

  1. Interesting take on the topic. I hope you get to run in more marathons going forward. All the best to you on the big day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You got this, girl. You got this. I'll be thinking of you on the 12th!

    ReplyDelete