Thursday, September 4, 2014

Hamevin Yavin

After I made the decision, I periodically had reservations about doing it.  There was a period of time between when I made the decision and actually moved forward with starting to execute the decision which would have made backing out really easy.

This past Sunday I took the biggest step forward with this decision.  Once again, I had my reservations, but I knew it was time to take one of the greatest step in the process.  So, I packed everything up and put it in my car.  As I started the car and left my parking space, I began to wonder if I was crazy for doing what I was about to do.  Thankfully, those thoughts went away as quickly as they had entered my mind.  I knew in my heart this was something I really wanted.

Upon arriving at my destination, I was greeted by a white piece of paper taped to the door stating the facility was closed until further notice.

WTF?!?! Was this a sign?  Maybe I shouldn't do this after all. 

I got back in my car, texted my friends who knew what I was doing and regrouped.  I knew this wasn't the only place I could go to take care of the task at hand, but I thought it was the easiest location to get to because I was sure I wouldn't have to hassle with parking.  The thought of going home and calling it quits crossed my mind ever so briefly, but soon I realized where I needed to head next.

As I suspected, parking was a mess.  If I've come to learn at least one thing about living in the big, bad city it's that in most neighborhoods parking sucks.  Not only was Lakeview not an exception to this over generalization, but also was a perfect example of how bad parking in the city could be - morning, noon and night.

I knew where I was going had a parking lot, but it was hidden amongst all the cars and moving vans that lined the narrow streets.

(Side note: not only does parking sucks even more in the city on the last and first day of any given month, but driving on city streets does as well while city folk play the residential version of musical chairs.)

After making a few loops around the local blocks - at least once because I didn't turn on the right street and another time because I couldn't find the entrance to the parking lot - I finally parked my car and took out the bags I had so carefully placed in the backseat of my car.

Sigh, this is really worth it, I told myself as I futzed with the code lock on the door.  Seriously?!  After all that I've gone through the freaking lock isn't working?  Wait, am I remembering the code correctly?

Just like the other facility I went to earlier in the day there was a sign on the door, however this time it instructed individuals to call the main office should they need the code for the lock.  Even though I could swear I was remembering the code correctly, I called the main office just in case.  There was just one little problem... all I got was a recording.  No prompt to get the code.  No live person to tell me what I needed to do differently.  I was ready to give up... again.

Then I decided to try one last time.

The room in question was small.  A lot smaller than I had imagined it would be.  Sure, I wasn't expecting a penthouse, but the space was limiting.  It was also warm and humid and felt a lot like the weather outside.  Again, I shouldn't have been surprised.  I guess I just expected more ventilation - and central air.  I put my purse down behind me and washed my hands before starting what I had come there to do.

I took the first item out of one of the bags.  I unwrapped it and placed it on the narrow ledge.  I repeated this again until I had at least six to eight items in front of me.  I lifted the first item and took off the price sticker and held it in my hand.  I took a deep breath and looked ahead of me at the blessing I was suppose to say before commencing with the task at hand.

As I dunked each and every item into the pool of water I did so with an excitement and sense of peace I never anticipated experiencing.  Even though I didn't have to, I read the blessing almost each time I dunked an item - this meant I read the blessing about 52 times.

From start to finish, I was there about an hour.  After it was through, I texted a few of my friends that the deed had been done.  Then, I posted the below picture on Facebook with a simple caption:

One step closer ...

The fact that I posted a picture was a bold move.  My BFF didn't even expect I would be so open about what I was up to; however, I decided if I was really going to kosher my kitchen I needed to be open about it.  This wasn't something that should be a secret that only a select few people knew about.  It was now part of my life.

That evening I got kosher takeout and ate it on my newly koshered dishes.  Then, I spent a fair amount of time arranging my meat and dairy cabinets.  Once I was done, I took pictures and texted them off to my friends I knew would understand.  During one of those conversations I mentioned that I purposely kept the caption on the Facebook picture of my dishes vague because I knew that the ones who could look at the picture and "get it" would understand.  That's when my friend replied back there is a saying in Hebrew, Hamevin Yavin, which basically translates to: "Those who understand will know."

In the days that have followed my first trip to the dish mikvah a few people have questioned why I am "going kosher."  My answer for them isn't super in-depth.  How can it be?  It is such a personal decision and how can I truly explain the reasons that are truly ones I hold close to my heart.  So I try to explain to them, as best I could, all the while knowing that "those who get it will understand" (which is this week's Thursday Blog Project topic chosen by me) and those that don't, won't.



Now that I've shared with you my story about "Those that get it will understand," please take a moment to read my fellow bloggers take on the topic:

Momarock (Sara)

Merryland Girl (Melissa)

Darwin Shrugged (Denise)

2 comments:

  1. This is an incredible post! I love how you kept it deliberately vague until you showed the picture. I even got teary-eyed reading it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Mel! That means a lot to me.

      Delete