Friday, April 4, 2014

You're Damned If You Do and You're Damned If You Don't

In mid-January I decided to give up caffeine, so I did - cold turkey.  It wasn't an easy process, but I did it nonetheless.  (A big thank you to Denise for listening to my vents about it during the first 3 or so days of my "detox.")

Two months later, not drinking caffeine isn't my problem.  However, as a result of my decision to not drink caffeine finding something other than water to drink when I'm eating out is now a problem.  See, in addition to not consuming caffeine, I also don't want to consume drinks with sugar in them such as regular Sprite, 7-Up, Sierra Mist or even good ol' fashion lemonade. An easy fix to this would
be to get the diet version of said drink, however I have yet to find a restaurant or fast food place that actually offers the diet version of these drinks.

(You're damned if you do and you're damned if you don't.)

Each and every time I encounter this "problem" I eventually laugh at myself.  This isn't the worst problem I'm dealing with at the moment and it's not the worst problem in world, but it's definitely a first world problem (this week's Thursday Blog Project topic thanks to Melissa).

I mean really... First, this is a decision I made freely.  No one twisted my arm or pointed a gun at me and told me I couldn't drink caffeine anymore.  If were such an issue I could easily consuming caffeine again.  More importantly, this "problem" is so small in the big scheme of things.  In some countries people suffer from malnutrition and dehydration... and I'm upset about the fact that my only real option for something to drink while I'm out about is water?! Yeah, "first world" for sure!

At the end of the day, I end up sticking with water when I'm out and about... and as time goes by I'm sure my reaction to this minor inconvenience will temper.

Now that I have talked about one of my "first world problems," please take a moment to see what my fellow bloggers have to say:

Momarock (Sara)

Merryland Girl (Melissa)

Darwin Shrugged (Denise)

3 comments:

  1. I love your take on this topic! Water definitely is a luxury compared to countries who don't have much of it or even fresh water. So I love how you turned your decision to only have water at restaurants into a FWP. We've been cutting back on soda during the week and just save it for Shabbat. I think I remember Moma Rock talking about giving up soda and sugary drinks a long time ago. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Melissa - Thanks! You are so right! Even drinkable water is a luxury for some and yet it's like a "last resort" to me. That's interesting you've been saving pop for shabbos. Funny thing is that I don't even buy it at the grocery. You'd think I would. :)

      Delete
  2. You have more will power than I do! Although my primary drink is water, there are times I'll get a lemonade or some other sugary drink. When I drink soda now, after not drinking it for so long, it does a number to my stomach. So, I don't even bother anymore. Not worth it! Great post!

    ReplyDelete