Friday, April 11, 2014

You think you know me, but do you really?

This week for the Thursday Blog Project I asked the group to write about: Write about something no one would ever guess about you.

The topic was inspired by a dinner I attended last weekend and a few other interactions I've had over the past weeks/months.  It all started when I signed up for a program for Young Jewish Professionals that meets once a week over the course of 8 weeks.

The first week, I showed up to the first meeting only knowing one person.  To say I was uncomfortable is an understatement.  Despite this fact, I put on a smile and pushed myself (as I always do) to socialize with the others while the shy kid inside of me wanted to immediately turn around and go home.  Sigh... Have I ever mentioned how much I hate large groups like this and in a bar nonetheless?
After our group meeting we went to a bar where the other four/five groups where. 

If not, I do. So much so that I grabbed a glass of ice water and found my friend.  My poor friend.  I spent the remainder of the evening glued to her.  She encouraged me to talk to my fellow group members, but I had nothing to say.  The same thing pretty much happened during week two.  By week three I was warming up to everyone, but was throw a curve ball.  We had a mass trivia night at a bar so we weren't going to be meeting in our smaller groups first.  CRAP MONKEY!  However, I was getting more comfortable and was more social without feeling as awkward.

By the fourth week I could tell I was staring to make friends.  When we went to the bar I was definitely more comfortable and wasn't relying on my friend to keep me "safe."  However, it was week five that really brought it all together.  I attribute the game "Cards Against Humanity" for this.  To really play this game you have to truly take down any type of filter you have and just be yourself.  So I was.

I mention all this because a lot of people think I'm outgoing and have no problem with social situations and/or lack self confidence.   In reality, it's a matter of being shy and having to push myself past those feelings.  Sometimes that isn't a problem; other times it's a HUGE obstacle.  

Thankfully, more often than not it's not a problem - and I thankful for my ability to overcome my shyness, however I think it's important to remember that I am this way so I never let it catch me off guard.  Most of all, I think it's important for others to know so they can truly know me.

Now that I've talked about something people wouldn't guess about me, please take a moment to see what my fellow bloggers have to say on the topic:

Momarock (Sara)

Merryland Girl (Melissa)

Darwin Shrugged (Denise)

2 comments:

  1. I know how you feel! I get so shy in big social settings if I don't know anyone. I prefer to be approached first. Once I get comfortable, I try to find people who don't know anyone and help them feel welcome.
    Great post! And I still need to get that game!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing this! I was just telling someone the other day that I feel as though I'm not nearly as social as I used to be. I am starting to feel awkward and shy in social situations. Like you, once I push through those initial feelings, it all turns out okay. Just have to keep at it. Great post!

    ReplyDelete