Sunday, April 20, 2014

All Consumed and Overwhelmed

As I approach the end of my first year in the city I have become somewhat reflective of not only my first year as "city girl," but also where I was last year at this time.  I'd say I wasn't sure why this was the case, but since I know myself rather well I know exactly why - that's just how I am.

Recently, as I was walking back to my place after getting off the train, I began to think of the first time I took this particular path to the place I have called home for almost 12 months now.  It was around this time last April and I was consumed in my own little moving world.  My days were spent working and trying to find leads on places to look at while my evenings consisted of viewing places and then going home to purge crap from my existing home, and packing up what I kept.  Also, I was training for my next race that would take place only 6 days before I anticipating moving.  I had been on this merry-go-round for two months by this point and was feeling discouraged that I would ever find "the one."  However, come hell or high water, come the beginning of June I would be moving.

The first thing I noticed on this first walk was when I got off the train was that there was some sort of construction right by the stop, but at the time I didn't know what it was going to be.  (Not long after I moved that would be revealed to me that this "construction zone" was the future home of a Marino's grocery.  This made me giddy! At that time, I had only heard of Marino's grocery stores, but all that I had heard was positive.)

As I walked the residential streets of this neighborhood I felt the ease of the residential surroundings.  I was familiar with the area, which is what attracted and repelled me to living there.   Part of me saw moving to the city as a whole new adventure, a change that I wanted to make in an epic way. So, as you might imagine moving to this familiar and "safe" part of the city seemed counter productive.  However, on the other hand, I knew the comfort of the familiar would make such a large leap that much easier.

When I walked up to the front of the building I now reside in, I knew that would one day be where I lived.  Like a lot of good things in my life, I didn't want to admit it at the time, but I knew it was the case.  Until this day, I remember the first time I walked into my unit and how the leasing agent kept repeating to me, "Two guys live here so we will be sure to clean it up before you move in."  Like many other places I had looked at, I had to look beyond the surface and aimed to find the potential for the space. (Just like when you are first getting to know someone.)  The showing was quick, but long enough for me to note the pros and cons of the place.

Finally, at the end of April I finally decided to pull the trigger and claim this place as mine - at least for 365 days.  At that point I thought the hardest part was over.... man was I wrong!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing your thoughts on this. I love that feeling of knowing you found the right place where you want to live. :)

    ReplyDelete