Sunday, March 16, 2014

It sounds crazy, but it doesn't feel crazy

For last week's Thursday Blog Project topic, I asked  the group to write about the phrase "YOLO".

The term "YOLO" (an acroynm for You Only Live Once) is similar to the phrases "Carpe Diem" (translated means: seize the day) or Memento Mori (translated means: remember you must die). 

I heard the term "YOLO" used a few months ago when I was looking at cars.  My 16-year-old car had just broken down and I was at the point where I didn't want to put another dime into repairing the vehicle.  As I pondered what I was going to do - buy a new car? If so, what kind of car? Etc. - someone I know said I should just go for the car I woudn't normally buy.  Then ended the comment with "YOLO!"  I hadn't heard the phrase so I needed them to elaborate, which they did.

Recently, life has thrust me into yet another interesting set of circumstances that requires me to figure out how to proceed going forward.  Upon these things happening my first instinct was to do what I normally do - play by the rule book I have been playing by all my life.  However, then I questioned why I was doing that given that other factors in my life allow me to take a very different path.  Allow me to read from a different set of rules. 

At first I thought this was just a knee-jerk reaction to everything that was taking place and that there was no way in hell throwing away the old "rules" was the best way to go.  I mean, come on!  This is me we're talking about.  When I think back I can't name many, if any, times I've strayed vastly from the road most taken... which is why I thought looking further into the road least taken was a good idea.  As it happens, the "universe" has actually set me up quite nicely for taking this path instead of the one I usually take.

I've tried to find reasons to not go this route, but I can't.  Truth be told, even though it sounds crazy to do, it doesn't feel crazy at all.  Truth be told, I'm starting to wonder why I wouldn't want to do something a bit different for once. 

I know I'm being vague, again.  I understand that is frustrating.  I also know that being specific right now is not an option until I sort things out for myself.  Then all will be revealed (should I head down this unfamiliar road). 

Until then, please take a moment to see what my fellow bloggers have to say about "YOLO"!


Momarock (Sara)

Merryland Girl (Melissa)

Darwin Shrugged (Denise)

1 comment:

  1. I think you should go for it if that's what you feel is what you really want to do. Who knows where it will lead? I like the new background picture for your blog, btw. :)

    ReplyDelete