Thursday, March 20, 2014

Confession: Part One

I'm gonna say upfront, my "confession" is not as juicy as you might hope it to be.  The reason I'm telling you this is so you're not let down when you read it.

Confession: I pray

(Again, sorry it's not something more exciting and earth shattering.)

I feel this is important to say before I actually address this week's Thursday Blog Project topic given to us by Denise, Be careful what you wish for, because the story I'm going to share involves something a friend of mine asked me to pray for on their behalf.

It was over a week ago when my friend Kendall and I were texting.  Kendall was heading to Sin City the following day and was concerned about snow delaying the flight he was taking.  Jokingly, yet not so jokingly, I told him that if he'd like I'd add a prayer for his travels to my prayers.  He said he would like that and then asked if I prayed that the snow accumulation at ORD (O'Hare International Airport) wasn't bad on the day he was suppose to leave so his flight would actually take off.  I was happy to oblige this particular request as he is a friend.  So that day, when I was praying, I asked that the snow accumulation the next day at O'Hare wasn't bad and would allow Kendall's flight to depart - just as he had requested.

The next day, I texted Kendall to see if all was good with his flight.  Checking in on a friend like that is not anything out of the ordinary for me.  Often when I know a friend is traveling - whatever the mode of transportation may be - I always like to check in to see how things are going.  However, truth be told after adding his travel plans into my pray list, I now had a bit of a vested interest as well.  The reply I got back was that the flight was going to be delayed by almost a hour.  Kendall seemed annoyed by this fact.  My reply was something to the effect that though I could see how it was annoying the fact remained it was still taking off, and that is what he had asked for.  I told him that is what I had prayed for because that is what he had asked me to pray for - that snow accumulation at ORD wasn't so bad that his flight couldn't take off.


I'm guessing that he went back in our text thread to see if that was actually the case because it took him awhile to reply.  When he did, the response was something to the effect that I was correct. 

Now that I have shared this story you're probably wondering what the heck it has to do with "Be careful what you wish for."

If there is one thing I have learned about praying is that you need to be specific as to what you are asking for.  If you're not specific it might in fact get answered in a way you weren't expecting.  Granted, as a rule of thumb, prayers don't always get answered the way we want them to; however, I feel if you aren't specific about what you would like to see happen chances are that should they be answered it will be in a way that is far different than what you are actually wanting.  Thus, you need to be careful for what you wish for.... because you might just get it.

Now that I've talk about my thoughts on why you should be careful what you wish for, please take a moment to see what my fellow bloggers have to say about this week's topic!

Momarock (Sara)

Merryland Girl (Melissa)

Darwin Shrugged (Denise)

4 comments:

  1. I love that you pray for so many people aside from yourself. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Mel! Just trying to spread the love whenever and however I can. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like to think that when a prayer isn't answered in the way we wanted it, it's for good reason. I think it's great that you prayed for his flight, and that he had a safe journey, even though it was an hour later. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sara - Thanks! Blogger needs a "Like" button so I can like your comment. I agree with what you're saying about how prayers are answered, but understanding that isn't always easy. (At least at the time.) I'm always happy to add a prayer in for a friend.

    ReplyDelete