Wednesday, September 4, 2013

5774

Once again, the Jewish community is entering into the high holiday season.  For the next 10 days we will be reflecting upon the past year, asking others to forgive us for our wrong-doing against them and looking forward to the year ahead. 

Over the last week or so, the excitement and chaos of summer has died down a bit here.  Though I believe this down time is for the better, it's provided more time to think about things that I've been pushing to the back of my mind.  It isn't necessarily a bad thing that this is happening, but it has just added to the already seriousness of this time of year.  (With the holidays and other factors I tend to be more reflective and serious around this time of year.)

In past years I have gone into the high holidays with somewhat of a "whatever" attitude.  Attending services and reflecting was more of an expected exercise than it was something of a spiritual nature for me as I didn't see how it could make a difference.  That is until this past year . . .

Though I've had my share of not so great times, I can't deny the past 12 months have been some of the greatest of my life.  There have been times when things weren't so great, but others I have to pinch myself to believe are real.  During the past years, I've spent a lot of time working on various parts of life that are quite important to me and feel like this year I reaped many benefits from that work.

I'm beyond thankful for the move I made.  Though I'm not 100% sure I'm living in the right area of world, I can with 100% confidence say making the leap was the right thing to do.  (This is something I highly doubted after I did it.) 

I got a lot of things I've been looking for over the past years, which is amazing.  And I cannot express how grateful I am for this fact.  Furthermore, though there isn't a clear picture of what they are exactly, I can feel there is more great opportunities ahead of me as long as I continue to pursue the things I am most passionate about.

Though there is so much to be grateful for I'm sadden by the losses I've had to experience along the way; however, I always remember that there is a reason things happen the way they do.  This year, I've learned to let go when there is really no good reason to hang on to something, or someone, any longer.  For better or worse that is just the way life is sometimes.

As 5773 comes to a close and we enter into 5774 I wish for a sweet year for all of those I love and care about the most.  I give thanks for those who've stayed with me along this crazy life journey  I'm experiencing, and for those that were only in my life for a brief period of time.  I have many personal wishes for the new year, but I will address those privately... as I will also address asking for forgiveness from those I feel I wronged the most.

For those of you who celebrate the Jewish High Holidays, I wish you L'Shana Tova!

No comments:

Post a Comment