Thursday, May 23, 2013

Turning a sour "lemon" into a sweet one

Thursday Blog Project Topic:  Things you love to hate or hate to love 
Chosen by: Me


I hated it to no end.  How could people pay THAT much for workout clothes?  Seriously!  Ok, so it was "moisture wicking".  STILL... close to $150 for one outfit (a tank/top and pants)... NO FREAKIN' WAY!!!

To fuel was hate of this brand I loved to hate came the controversy over the fact that their pants were see through.  NICE!  Gotta love it!  This made me even more positive I NEVER wanted to own anything lululemon.  That is, until, I started going to yoga class on a regular basis.

"That tank is cute" I thought to myself as I stood in warrior II.  "I wonder where she got it."  That's when I saw what I know all too well as the lululemon logo.

"Oh, crap!  Not lululemon!"

Later that day I went onto the site to see if I could find the tank.  Thankfully, I didn't because it meant that I was a discontinued style.  However, I saw a bunch of other tanks I thought were cute.  Still, it cost too much so there was no way I'd ever own one of their products.

That all took place in February.  In March controversy over the sheerness of their pants couldn't be missed in the news.  Though I'm not a loyal Saturday Night Live viewer, I have yet to hear about them spoofing this controversy on the show which is shocking to me.  Nevertheless, my morbid curiosity got the better of me and I decided I would check out this infamous store the next time I was at a mall that had one.

During my first visit I tried on a few tanks and a pair of their fitted shorts.  I wanted to see what all the fuss was about.  This is when my hate really began to turn to love... or maybe I should say where I really began to hate that I loved this brand so much.  The tanks were as cute as they looked on my computer screen and the shorts I tried on... Let's just say, I'm not sure how well they retain sweat, but they surely do shape ones body quite nicely.  I was beginning to understand why people loved this brand so much and why despite the controversy, it WOULD still thrive.   It was late March early April and I was beginning to waiver when it came to my pledge to NEVER buy something lululemon.

In late April, I broke down.  I bought one of their headbands.  I felt bad about it, but I rationalized it that it kept me from going back to the Fluevog store and putting the $300 pair of Mary Janes I had tried on just a half hour or so earlier on layaway.  $300 ... $15.... Yeah, I can manage a lulumon headband!  It's be a gift to celebrate the fact that my apartment search was over!!!

Phew!  My craving for something lulumon was over!  Yeah, right!  After Mother's Day brunch my mom wanted to go to one of her favorite clothing stores to look at something.  Since there was a lululemon just a few feet away I told her I would be in there while she went shopping.  There wasn't anything I wanted specifically other then to see what items they had on sale.  (Oh, did I mentioned though it's rare you'll ever see sale items on the lululemon site???  However, they do have them in the stores.)  That's when I found a tank, in my size, for over 60% off.  SERIOUSLY!  I had to do a double take.  A lululemon tank for $24 is unheard of.  After trying it on, I determined I liked it and was too good of a deal to pass up.  Given the amount of activity I do these days, acquiring another workout tank is like acquiring more underpants - you can never have too many!

I've worn my tank several times in the past week and a half.  I LOVE it!  I totally get why others rave about them and might actually consider buying one full price ... maybe ... one day.

Even though I am a lululemon believer, I still feel a bit "dirty" for loving this brand so much now.  Like somehow by "caving" I'm some sort of superficial person with no soul or a wantta be cool kid.  Hopefully over time this feeling will go away just like the way I use to love to hate this brand.



Now that I've talked about my love to hate/hate to love experience with lululemon, please take a moment to see what my fellow bloggers have to say about theirs:

Momarock (Sara)

Merryland Girl (Melissa)

Mom of Many (Susanna)

4 comments:

  1. I know how you feel... I used to think I didn't need the pricier work out attire, but now I am in love with anything that wicks away moisture! Great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sara! What got me hooked on the "fancy" work out tops was one I found on sale at Lucy. After using that one a few times I was hooked!

      Delete
  2. i didn't know you had this obsession. lol! glad you found a good deal at that one store.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know me, Mel! Always shopping sales! Yeah, the obsession has been slowly, but surely growing over the past couple of months. :P

      Delete