Thursday, May 30, 2013

Another Completed Chapter: Remembering Me (August 2008 - May 2013)

This week for the Thursday Blog topic, Sara asked us to write about the following:  Memorial Day was originally a day to remember those who served in the military, but has expanded to include anyone whose lives touched ours in some way. It's a day of remembrance. Who did you remember on Memorial Day?

I'm breaking the rules ... a lot!  However, I don't feel bad about it.  With a topic like this I'd probably start talking about my dad or another family member who has passed.  Though there is nothing wrong with doing that I feel like right now it's time for me to remember someone else who hasn't passed, but has a part of them that has faded into the past.

That person is me, five years ago.


In just a few days I'll be leaving where I've been living for almost the past five years.  This isn't where I grew up or anything like that.  However, it is where I experienced some significant changes.

Honestly, I don't think much about five years ago anymore.  I haven't for a long time.  At least I don't think about it until something (someone) crosses my path and brings back a memory.  However, I've been thinking about five years ago for the past couple of weeks as I've prepared to move.

How could I not?  So much has happened here.  So much change has taken place.  I've grown in ways I never expected to.  I've overcome things I thought would haunt my whole lifetime.  I've rediscovered the person I was before all the awfulness I experienced entered my life.  Even better, in the process of rediscovering myself I also discovered things I didn't know about myself.  Taken chances I would have never done before and tried (and succeeded at) things I would have never thought possible.  Most importantly, I've learned how to love again. And even better, to love without the fear of getting hurt.

Most people would want to forget the type of person I was five years ago, and I don't blame them for wanting that.  Sometime I want to forget the person I was five years ago; however, to forget that person is to deny a part of who I was, and probably still am (to some degree).

As I leave the place I've called "home" for all these years and venture into the unknown I have so much to be thankful for and I know experiencing what I did was part of the journey to arrive where I am today.

So, to my dearest self, I bid you ado, but promise to never totally forget you.  You have made me stronger, wiser and more hopeful of what is possible in the days, weeks, months and years to come.


Now that I've talked about my Memorial Day Remembrance, please take a moment to see what my fellow bloggers have to say about theirs:

Momarock (Sara)

Merryland Girl (Melissa)

Mom of Many (Susanna)

2 comments:

  1. Great post! All the best to you on this next chapter in your life!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am glad you broke the rules! :) Congrats to you, and to your bright future!

    ReplyDelete