Tuesday, October 9, 2012

"Four Score and Seven Years Ago..."

The Thursday Blog Project topic for Thursday, October 4th was choosen by me.  I asked the group to write on the following topic:  If you could have a conversation with any President of the United States who would you want to talk to and what would you talk to them about?

My inspiration for this topic was the Lincoln Monument which gazes upon the reflecting pool in Washington, D.C.


I've now been to this monument twice.  Each and every time I've visited it I've gotten goose bumps.  It moves me.  It especially moved me the last time I visited because of what is going on in our political world today.

Abraham Lincoln has always been one of my favorite Presidents.  When I was in grade school I even cut the hair off my Tracy Bride Babie doll's hair to make a diorama of Abe Lincoln.  There has always been something about him, and his Presidency that's stayed with me since I first learned about him. 

These days I think about President Lincoln because of the challenges our country faces with some lawmakers trying to pass laws regarding matters that are personal to each and every citizen and shouldn't be controlled by the government.  Furthermore, the basis for these laws stem from some law makers religious belief which don't reflect the religious beliefs of all US citizens.  So, as one might imagine, I start to think about when our great landed was first founded, and the battles that were fought for such thing like "separation of church and state" and freedom from slavery and civil rights.  In someways, I feel like we are regressing from the principles our country was founded.

If I were to get a chance to ask President Lincoln a question, I'd ask him how he would approach these challenges.  Part of me assumes that he would already know what is going on when I present the question.  A part of me would phrase the question so he wasn't aware of specifics as I feel having such a general understanding could yield interesting answers as well.

Now that I've talked about what President I would ask a question to, please take a moment to read what my fellow bloggers had to say:


Mom of Many (Susanna)

Momarock (Sara)

Merryland Girl (Melissa)

1 comment:

  1. I've been to the Lincoln Memorial a few times but haven't made it all the way up the steps yet. I hope to see that big statue at some point.
    LOL about the Tracy bride Barbie doll. I had that one too. :)

    ReplyDelete