Wednesday, October 31, 2012

50,000+ Words in 30 Days

Back in 2008, during the month of November, I decide to see if I could go without High Fructose Corn Syrup for 30 days.  It was tough, but I did it.  Last November, I attempted to blog for 30 days straight.  I missed a day or two because due to a nasty cold, but writing 28 or so posts in one month wasn't too shabby.  Especially considering the fact that I up until that point I hadn't been posting as much as I had in the past and had an uber hectic schedule.  This year, I'm taking on a very ambitious challenge...

November is NationalNovel Writing Month (NaNoWriMo).  The idea behind NaNo is to make writing a novel fun and adventurous.  Trust me when I say, the idea of writing a novel is daunting.  Think about it.  Once I was told the average novel is approximately 85,000 - 90,000 words.  That's 3,000 words if you break it up over 30 days.  HOLY CRAP MONKEYS!!!  

I like that NaNoWriMo participates are encouraged to write only a total of 50,000 words (175 pages), not 85,0000+ words.  I think it sets a realistic goal.  For me, what I want to get out of this next month of writing is a strong foundation for a book.  As I stated in the beginning of this post, taking on such a task is daunting and this challenge, at the very least, is a good way to get started toward that goal.  With all the writing I do for Chick Lit Central and work sometimes it's difficult to get motivated to do writing for me... Hopefully this will be the motivation I've been searching for so desperately.

So, as of tomorrow I will be feverishly plugging away at my NaNoWriMo goal... after I say a little prayer of course!


1 comment:

  1. It does sound daunting, but I know you can do it. :)

    ReplyDelete