Thursday, August 30, 2012

One gray hair. Two gray hairs. Three gray hairs ... Ok, that's it, I'm not counting anymore!

This week for the Thursday Blog Project, Susanna gave us the following topic:  What scares you the most about getting older?

It's not something I think about often; however, periodically as I'm fussing with my hair I'll notice it... or for that matter "them." I'm talking about my gray hairs.

The first gray hair ever found on me was when I was 25-years-old. My boss was standing over me as I showed her something. Out of the blue she blurted, "You have a gray hair." "No I don't!" I insisted. (I was too young.) However, that evening I stood in front of my bathroom mirror determined to find this alleged gray hair. Just as I was about to deem my bosses' statement false, I saw it. I was mortified! I was only 25, how could this be? I thought to myself. Thankfully I was in a relationship with someone who knew the right thing to say which helped me calm down, and mitigated the quarter century crisis that had already been in full effect probably for a good year prior.

In the years that followed, I periodically went into a state of panic that more of these creatures may have invaded my hair follicles and would vigorously scan my head to see if was actually the case. Thankfully, it wasn't. When I hit my mid-30s I began to notice more and more gray hairs. I no longer went into a state of panic over this, instead I accepted what was happening and began to regularly check to see how out of control "the problem" was getting. you had asked me, I'd have told you they had taken over my whole head, but once again that wasn't the case.

I'm now as I near my late-30s, "the state of grays" is a regular conversation I have with my hair stylist when I get my hair cut. (One of the things I love about my hair stylist is that she will tell me the truth, no matter how unpleasant it is --  if an idea I have for my hair sucks, she'll tell me; if my grays are taking over, she won't sugar coat it.)

Though I haven't gone completely gray, yet, I want to know where things stand, I also want to have a plan of attack as well. This has started fostered conversations with my stylist about what my "options" once these creatures have in fact taken over. (What can I say, I'm a planner.)

From what I've been told, my "grays" are really white, and I've been told that if I were brave enough, I should consider going fully "gray." I use the word "brave" in terms of letting my hair go totally gray as for me not coloring my hair and going completely gray would in fact be a massive act of bravery.

I don't believe obsess over going gray like women do -- at least not the men I know.Sure , they worry about going bald, but women lose their hair as well. (Honestly, it's a concern of mine as well as I've always had thin hair.) In our society, a man with gray hair, or no hair for that matter, is sexy. However, women, not so much.

This might be a superficial concern about aging, but it one that I think about, more often than I wish to admit.  However, it is a fact of life that is beginning to stare me in the face more and more as the years pass.  Hopefully when the time does come to face the grays, I will do so with grace and know that I have earned each and every one of them.  

But, until that day... I plan to believe that I will always have the beautiful color hair that I've lived with for the past 36 years.

Now that I've talked about one of the things that scares me about getting older, please see what my fellow bloggers have to say.

Mom of Many (Susanna)

Merryland Girl (Melissa)

Momarock (Sara)

1 comment:

  1. I loved reading this. Such a humorous approach to the topic. :) I notice grays all the time in my hair and have stopped counting them. I've seen women wear it proudly while other women spend a fortune to have their hair colored.

    ReplyDelete