Thursday, May 31, 2012

The Case of the Runaway Yarn Ball

Laughter is the best medicine: Talk about the things that make you laugh. Share a funny story or two. Tell us a joke. It's all about humor, so anything goes!

This week, Melissa asked us to talk about laughter. I love this because I truly believe being able to laugh at life, and yourself, is key to happiness. That's why when I did something embarrassing back in March, it was nice I could just laugh it off versus fretting about it, and wishing I could have a "do over".

Now, don't get me wrong, I've probably done other embarrassing things since March, but this sticks out in my mind. It took place at a local surgical center close to where I live. I was there to drive a friend home after they got their tonsils out. Thinking I was going to be camping out in the waiting room until the surgery was done, I took out the blankie I've been working on for my mom's upcoming birthday and started working on it. No sooner did I do this, was I called and told I could go back to keep my friend company before the surgery. So, I quickly gathered my things, stuffed them into my bag, and made my way back to the area where my friend was resting. About half way to my friend's room, I hear, "Woo!" and quickly turned around. As it turns out, trailing behind me was a trail of navy blue yarn. The same navy blue yarn that I had started using for the most recent mitered square to be attached to mom's blankie. The nurse in question had tried to walk to a patient room and tripped over my trail of yarn.

Oops! This led me to the quick conclusion that I had dropped the ball of yarn when I quickly gathered my things and it wrapped around the leg of the sofa I was sitting on. I explained this to the nurse, and all the other staff who had gathered by this point to see what was going on. One of the staff members of the surgery center was kind enough to go back to unhook the ball from the sofa leg instead of making put down my things and to retrieve myself.

While we waited, I laugh with the others about the whole situation. I'm sure my face was bright red by this point, but I'd like to think my laughter and joking about the whole situation overshadowed it.

It seemed to take the individual who went to retrieve my yarn ball awhile to make it back to the part of the facility I was waiting. I'm sure in reality it wasn't THAT LONG, but it sure felt like a long time. Once I was settled in, and my friend assured me there was nothing they needed from me, I texted Doc about what had happened. Of all the people I knew, I was sure Doc would appreciate the story.

I smile whenever I think of that story. It's not the most HILARIOUS story, but there is something about it that makes me laugh each and every time I think about. Maybe it has to do with the fact that I'm a knitter. Maybe it has to do with the fact that this is the kind of story I can see happening at Doc's clinic, and hearing about from him. However, I think why this story really stands out to me has to do with the fact that I was able to laugh at myself rather than getting embarrassed and finding a place to hide for the remainder of my time there which is something I would have done once upon a time.

Now that I've shared a funny story with you, please take a moment to read what funny stories my fellow bloggers have to share:

Merryland Girl (Melissa)

Momarock (Sara)

Mom of Many (Susanna)

1 comment:

  1. i wasn't even there and i was laughing just picturing this. i love the "woo!" part. lol! such a bridget jones moment!

    ReplyDelete