Monday, April 23, 2012

Some Thoughts On Failure

This week for the Thursday Blog Project, I asked the group to write about the following: What would you do if you knew you wouldn't fail?

First I have to say when I asked the question I felt as though this had been covered before by the group. However, after much discussion, and research, we determined it hadn't. That said, I apologize if we are in fact repeating ourselves.

My inspiration for this week's topic was a blog post by author Wade Rouse titled, "The Go-to-Gay: Turning 'fear' into 'fierce."

This idea of not failing is not something new to me. I think about it all the time because I often feel as though I do in fact fail at everything I do. Now, the rational part of my brain clearly realizes this is not necessarily the case, but nonetheless since there are so many things in my life that I am currently struggling with, frequently feel like a BIG, FAT FAILURE! So, as you might imagine, right now the idea of not failing is quite appealing and attractive.

Over the past year, I've put myself at risk of failing more often than not. I'm not sure why I did this as it is a bit uncharacteristic of me, but apparently I felt the rewards of success outweighed the cost of failure. I think it is this mindset that keeps me going with the participating in races. Something inside of me is thoroughly convinced that over time I my completion time will improve, vastly. To say it's hard at times to believe that is an understatement.

I wish I had this same confidence in other parts of my life. Like my career aspirations. If there is one thing I have wanted to do for work since I was in college it's to write for a living. It is not a huge secret that since I was in college all I wanted to do was write Public Relations pieces ranging from Press Releases to Speeches. In recent years, I've enjoy my time blogging and wish there was some way I could get paid to do it full-time. And even more recently, I had this silly dream of writing a book. However, despite my dreams of getting paid to write, I continue to follow the same career path I've taken for many years for two simply reasons -- it's safe and what I know. To veer off course is.... SCARY!!!

What if I fail at pursuing writing as a career???

What makes my fear of failing at pursuing a writing career ironic is that over the past four years I've basically put myself in the eye of fear time and time and time again. I've jumped out of airplanes, and discovered a love for skydiving. I've taken the LSAT THREE times, and improved on each go around.

This coming week, I faced another fear of mine -- being in the spotlight (sorta). The blog that I've been doing social media for is officially introducing me as part of their team. Though it's not anymore "out there" than writing for them periodically, it's still a bit freaky to me. I don't usually put myself out in the spotlight. And if I do, it's in a very safe way.

When I look at what I've written, I don't know that I've really covered the topic. The above is just where my head is right now. I guess at the end of the day, I think the most important thing I need to remember when it comes to fear and failure (because I think the two are tightly connected) and overcoming the fear of failure is that I need to continuously push myself out of my comfort zone -- regardless of the fact that I don't know for sure how things will turnout. It's the simple fact that you need to participate in whatever it may be to find out if you're gonna succeed, or not.

Now that I've shared my thoughts on the topic of failure, please take a moment to read what my fellow bloggers have to say:

Mom of Many (Susanna)

Merryland Girl (Melissa)

Momarock (Sara)

1 comment:

  1. great post! thanks again for giving us this topic. and thanks for including Wade's post too. :)

    ReplyDelete